Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:46 PM

3 months post op

My Retriever is now just over 3 months after having 2 knee ops and the vet said that she would be ok to go off lead about 3 weeks ago, i only felt brave enough to let her off lead for about 10/15 minutes last week and took her somewhere where there was less likely to be other dogs and bikes as i think its still a bit soon to play and she has an unpredictable habit of chasing cyclists... She has been fine up until today when she ran into the garden and i noticed that she momentarily lifted up her leg again...I do not know if this nothing to worry about as we had a longish lead walk today and maybe it is just aching but i am quite worried as we have got this far and its the first time i have seen her lift her leg since before her ops...I have decided to take her to the vet tomorrow to hopefully put my mind at rest.. Has anyone been through or experienced this with their dog and if so could i be over anxious.... Thanks M
henry06
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi Micky

My dog has has knee ops on both legs but they were done at different times. The first leg he recovered from brilliant. The second one he was uneasy and took longer to get over it. It has been 4 months now since henry had his last leg done and he is fine on his legs apart from the odd bunny hop if hes running. I don't let henry off the lead but have an extendable lead for walks on the local field. Henry was restrained to the living room and didnt attempt to jump on the setee at first as i think he knew he couldnt and it may hurt. Hes back to his old self now and ive moved the gate again so that he ca go in the kitchen, living room and outside by himself. You cant cover them in cotton wool and if something is going to happen then they are dogs and you cant explain to them that they need take it easy. I think henry will only do what he can do. He has banged his leg a couple of times when hes gone too fast racing round in the back garden but hes held his leg up for a few mins and then its been fine again. He had an x ray to check that everything was in place and he has regular check ups at the vets.

I take henry any time i feel even slightly worried as there is no point stewing on it. However, i think that from time to time they will twist funny or bang the leg causing some discomfort or pain like if we were to stub our toe or twist ankle funny.

Hope that helps a little. x
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Thank you for your reply, i have not had a good night and am hoping that the vet will reassure me that her leg is ok...I try to be as careful as i can but like you say we cannot always wrap them up in cotton wool...Micky
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Hope the vet gives you some positive news today x
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 08:11 AM
good luck today at the vets hun hugs to you both
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 08:30 AM
good luck at the vets, keep us updated please xxx
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I hope it's good news at the vets. It's easy for a them to say keep them quiet and calm but unfortunately dogs will be dogs. Keep us posted.

((Big Hugs))

Heidi
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Hello everyone

Thank you for your kind words of support... My dog had her check at the vet yesterday and huge sigh of relief her leg is ok.. Now it just me that needs the valium..

Mickyx