View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
caninechaos
New Member!
Female 

06-04-2016, 05:50 PM
"I have yet to meet a crossbreed breeder(whether it is a designer dog breeder or a breeder of dogs "mongrels")who does any health testing at all, few owners of crossbred dogs do any health testing so there is no actual proof that they are really healthier than any other dog."

half the health testing done is because the breeding leads to health issues....look at bulldogs, they have literally been bred to have breathing issues. Shepherd's hips are a disaster waiting to happen and it's all to achieve breed standard.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2016, 11:31 PM
This is an impossible to answer question because you have not stated what the crossbreed is. And you have not stated what the breeding of the pedigree dog is. So you have not provided any information whatsoever.

Is the mutt a cross of two pedigrees? what are the sizes of the dogs involved? Anyone answering this does not understand dog genetics at all.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Hate to rain on your parade Caninechaos, all my dogs are health tested, my puppies are litter eye screened and vet checked and I only breed from health tested dogs. I know quite a few people who also health test, so you don't know as much as you thought. I wish the KC would make registration of KC recognised breeds impossible without health testing having been carried out, and also make it mandatory for entrants at their shows
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2016, 11:59 PM
The show breeders that are testing for every genetic ailment possible, are doing so, because show breeders that are linebreeding for particular color combinations are CREATING ALL OF THESE GENETIC AILMENTS IN THE FIRST PLACE. Nature does not select dogs based upon their ability to walk in a circle on a chain. This post is aimed at everyone who thinks that anything in it is wrong, and test on for the things that you are creating.

If I am wrong then why are wolves not born deaf and blind with dalmation spots?
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2016, 12:10 AM
I went to a show breeder earlier this Spring, and looked at a litter. The mother German Shorthair growled at me, which is an instantly disqualifying fault in the ring. Then the breeder tells me that her dog is a carrier of lupoid dermatosis, which is a relatively new disease, that is common in show dogs. Even my vet never heard of this. Hmmm, why are diseases more common in show dogs than in wild cousins? Can you answer that one, I mean with all of your genetic testing you should have eliminated all diseases, yet in reality YOU and other breeders who test, have created more of these diseases. Can you answer that?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Er...why on earth did the breeder breed from a bitch carrying such a disease, the knowledge of what your dog is carrying or has any genetic health problems then tells you that you do not perpetuate that line and cut it off immediately. Why would anyone buy a puppy from a litter where the mother was of uncertain temperament and was a carrier of an inherited disease, only a fool would part with their money.
Health tests are just that, a test to see if everything is OK before breeding from your dog
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2016, 08:54 PM
That is my point, these people are crazy, even some that seem normal. The breeder said that she found out after she had the litter that the mother was a carrier and that the father was negative. This means that the puppies can not have the disease but have a 50 percent chance of being carriers. If the pups breed to another carrier then the pups will die before 3 years old. To make this worse the two adult dogs she had were kept in small crates in a smaller house. No GSP should be crated, they need to move, miles a day, even if in a yard. I will never deal or even look at another show pup ever, as even a good breeder has to outsource for genes and show breeders ALWAYS pick the pretty pup with the right markings, not the healthy one.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-05-2016, 11:18 PM
Personally, if I am keeping a puppy I look for temperament and nice movement and conformation, another thing that is important to me is her status in the litter and how she will fit in with my resident girls. Conformation doesn't always show itself early on so sometimes its a risk if everything else is right. The prettiest may not be right for the showing, so I doubt a show breeder would go for a puppy that won't win for them.
I don't believe the breeder would do a test like that after a mating had already taken place, health tests are usually done as a litter for something like eyes for instance, then once the puppy is 12 months, hips, elbows, repeat adult eye screen etc are done if you are going to breed, then you wait another year for them to mature on before doing a mating. So you would know well in advance if there were a genetic problem and that mating the dog was not an option
There's a computer programme I have that will work out the COE for me, and I tend to try for between 1 and 3 %, highest I would go is 8%. I would expect most decent breeders would have this
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by NickyAnn View Post
I went to a show breeder earlier this Spring, and looked at a litter. The mother German Shorthair growled at me, which is an instantly disqualifying fault in the ring. Then the breeder tells me that her dog is a carrier of lupoid dermatosis, which is a relatively new disease, that is common in show dogs. Even my vet never heard of this. Hmmm, why are diseases more common in show dogs than in wild cousins? Can you answer that one, I mean with all of your genetic testing you should have eliminated all diseases, yet in reality YOU and other breeders who test, have created more of these diseases. Can you answer that?
only show dogs ???
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Nice movement means being able to run neatly in a circle on a chain. This is not a natural movement and does not denote a quality animal. The biggest pup is also the strongest, and possibly the smartest as well as he/she gets the most milk to grow. the color conformations that you speak of that are WRITTEN INTO A BREED STANDARD have nothing to do with the most intelligent and healthy dog in the litter. See you pick a quiet agreeable dog that will not make waves and strides well. This wolf does not live past it's first year, because they have to make waves every day in order to eat. The fact is that ALL SHOW BREEDERS ALWAYS pick a pup that conforms to the breed standard, which over time results in dumb animals that were chosen only for color patterns and perhaps the ability to get along with other animals, instead of dominating them as a real champion does, either in a field championship or the wild as well. And bye the way, there are no deaf and blind wolves, only smart people breed these dogs, nature never does.
Page 10 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >