Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hypnorm
New Member!
Female 

19-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Are cockers any good for Agility?

We are thinking of getting a cocker spaniel and i wondered if they would be good at agility, its something i have fanicied doing, as it looks like great fun! and will keep me fit too!
Thanks in advance!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi there - welcome to dogsey - I think any dog can do agility really - it really isn't breed specific!

I have done with an Irish Setter and now with a Gordon - purely for fun - and if a setter can do it - trust me any dog can

You need to wait until at least until your dog is 12m to ensure bones have developed fully before starting and a good basic obedience is also a good idea - good recall, a wait - sit and wait and just a good rapport as well.

Agility clubs do tend to have long waiting lists so would be a good idea to find a club and get your name down in advance.

You can find a list of clubs on http://www.agilitynet.co.uk look under clubs.

Good luck in getting your dog!
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Hi, welcome to dogsey!

Any dog can do agility, although some excel greater than others One of the trainers at our club runs several Americal Cockers, and does quite well with them. I believe GT Agility are based in Gloucestershire, which is a good club, alternatively look on agilitynet as suggested by Rachelsetters.

There are many things you can do with the pup with agility in mind, and seeing that smaller dogs are physically maturer quicker, some clubs (rightly or wrongly) start puppy agility from about 6months, which involves minimum impact as everything is on the floor.

Good luck on the puppy hunt!
natalie1828
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi,
I have a 14month old cocker and just started agility with her and she loves it! She's taken to it like a natural! We have all sorts of dogs in our class from a tiny Jack Russell to a Big German Shepherdx they all love it!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2008, 01:34 PM
my friend runs a working cocker & another frienbds dad also runs one, they are supa fast!
hypnorm
New Member!
Female 

19-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks for your replies, all i have to do is get a dog!! have found a club just up the road from us so that would be good. woudl like a working cocker as the are a bit more stocky than the show cockers.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey my friend has Cockers and she does agility with hers, they love it
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by hypnorm View Post
Thanks for your replies, all i have to do is get a dog!! have found a club just up the road from us so that would be good. woudl like a working cocker as the are a bit more stocky than the show cockers.
I would imagine a working cocker would definately take to agility, and have lots of get up and go for it too! Good luck, keep us all informed, with words and lots of pics
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by hypnorm View Post
dunno if i would describe them as stockier tbh?
Shorter in leg certainly, but much longer in the back & more athletic looking & less coat
Cayley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2008, 02:47 PM
It depends on your lifestyle whether a working type or show type cocker would be more suitable, the size of working cockers varies both in height in build as they are bred for working ability above looks .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >