Our sister sites
Our sister sites
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-12-2007, 07:27 PM

Agility and Spaying

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd ask everyone's opinion. Zoe is due to be spayed in a weeks time, our vet has said that she'll need 3 days lead walking, then after 7 days the stitches can come out, then she'll be ok to do agility. However someone at our agility club, said that we should give her 4-6 weeks before doing agility training. Even though she hasn't progressed to full height yet!

So my question to my fellow agility competitors, is, what do you do with your bitches when they have been spayed.

Note for Mods: I hope this is the right area to post it in, I thought it would be best here to keep the subject on topic. Thanks
Iain
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 07:30 PM
when spring was speyed i gave her a fortnight after the stitches came out then started again on low height. thats the "standard" round here, though a few people have started again after the stitches have come out and not had a problem.

xx
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 07:36 PM
My agility savvy vet is happy for girls to start again on low height two weeks after stitches come out, [ but no A-Frame or Tyre or Longs, because of excessive stretching for A-Frame and Longs, and possibility of a hard knock from the tyre ].
Rest of equipment and full height are fine after 4 weeks in his opinion, and having had recently spayed girls at training over the years they have never had any problem with those timescales
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 07:57 PM
ooo forgot to say about a-frame etc! just as well you came along patch honest i wouldnt remember my head
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks for your help guys