Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi Benzmum
Bless you. i've just read this thread. Its such an awful feeling. Mine all started after i was ill in December & January from flu/cold. Because i'm asthmatic it makes my breathing harder if i am congested or have a cough. This makes an asthmatic over breath, which causes the panic attack.
I have a bad virus at the minute, but i went straight onto steroids & antibiotics on day one, so hopefully my new management plan will help.
The worst bit i hate about a panic attack is not being able to control your body & sometimes it feels lke someones got their hands round your neck & you can't breath.
My dad has been on anti depressents after me & my brother were born (were twins) due to coping with financial difficulty. They didn't know they were having twins until i popped out!
Because of how i saw my dad live his life and my mum having to cope with them (very hard for family members) i won't go on to addictive drugs. My dad can't physically come off them now because hes so dependent on them. At one stage if he ate anything with yeast in it he would of died. Something to do with the ingredients in one of his drugs.
I had physio after my illness as i was left with a dysfunctional breathing disorder. Its easier said than done breathing in through your nose & out of your mouth & imagining your somewhere nice, when all you think is that your going to die!!
Theres so many people out there who suufer anxiety. I blame it on todays society & pressures.
I was very weak with my panic attacks and now they make me agree, so i really try to fight them.
My dad was so depressed he took an overdose & ended up in a type of coma for a while. It was awful. he was just crying out for help.
Taking about it helps especially those who understand.
So lets keep this thread open for therapy.
I feel SO sorry for you as anxiety attacks are just a load of pants

Best wishes & i hope you've had a good day
Julie x
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi again Leo,

Its like EVERYTHING in the environment is heightened, its really hard to explain, but it is just EVERYTHING is so scary, I have tried to talk to my boss but she is one of he "have a cup of tea" brigade!! and just doesn't get it!!

But I have managed this week, all be it quite surreally (is that a word??) but I did it!!

It just sometimes seens, all of a sudden that things you are used to send you into a panic and its stuff that you know isn't scary but gee whaen it hits you cant stop it . Or I can't anyway!!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Thank you so much Jules1 (leo would tell me off for saying thanks )but seriously I would never have posted had it not been for your post. I hate feeling helpless, upset, frustrated, and out of control .

I had a great childhood bar one over recurring flaw with 1 of my parents. And I think sometimes that it taught me how to "not cope" rather than how to "cope" But I have not been through the horrifically tough times you have exoperienced.

My heart goes out to you with greatest respect.
Take care
x
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Hi again Leo,

But I have managed this week, all be it quite surreally (is that a word??) but I did it!!
And you should be proud of it too.
You all need to acknowledge your every day achievements.
I'm glad your learning, you can say thanks to others, but not me theres really no need.
To be honest i admire your strength, to over come the every day things, i take for granted.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I appreciate your thoughts leo, as too not experience yet try to understand is truly amazing.

Today was better than I expected and that is a triumph.

Still gonna phone homeopath and ask doc about counselling.

I so wish I had trusted in dogsey months ago...you are all amazing
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Isn't it awful to think how many people are going through this

I was incapacitated with anxiety (with panic attacks) for 6 months last year. I was lucky though, I had a wonderful GP, and a wonderful union rep. I was offered counselling (immediately) by both the NHS and the union. I accepted the NHS provision, and was referred to a wonderful hynptherapist who really helped me sort my life out.

I'm not convinced that your GP is taking this seriously enough. Throwing drugs at it won't make it go away (although carefully-prescribed drugs will, of course, help in a big way.) I don't think he can have been particularly helpful in explaining the medication to you either, otherwise you'd be more confident that you were taking it for a reason. If you think there's a problem there, ask to see another doctor in the practice.

Tell them to put you on the waiting list for counselling anyway - it might not actually be as bad as he makes out. Look into other sources of counselling - if you're in a trade union, they're always a good bet, or your employer may atually be able to offer you something, especially if you work in the public sector or for a big company. Failing that, if you can afford to go private (althopugh it makes my blood boil to think that anyone would have to) it might be the best money you ever spend.

I really hope you find an answer to this - it really is no way to live. Biggest hugs and well-wishes from somebody who knows how it feels xxx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Does it help to take 1 day at a time?
Take stock of what you achieved in that day, to help you feel more positive and in control.
I would guess the more you feel like you do over it the more you get depressed.

Jules
I don't know if its true, but i have heard if you put a paper bag over your head it help's with your breathing when your in a panic attack.
My mum gets them, not often or really bad compaired to some, nothing seem's to trigger it.
If she gets out of breath,it seem's the more she try's to catch her breath the more she panics.

When your in an attack is there any known method to help you get yourself out of it?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Yes, see when I have good days iI feel like the world is my friend again....but you are right as most panic attacks are exasperated by fast breathing so if you use a paper bag that slows down breathing and forces you to stop hyperventilating....

It really is a thought/mind/brain thing its like lighting a firework, walking away and thinking "er no I don't want that to go off!!!" Cat in He**s chance!!

But today has been good so focus omn the positive here

leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2007, 08:38 PM
If you acknowledge the good days, does it help you feel more positive about yourself?
I guess the bad days knock you back down again though.
So its a consent cycle of up and down.
I hope you feel you can come on here and share your feelings, it helps to talk what ever the problem is your facing.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Yes Leo, thats right but you blow into the bag. Although i would probably benefit with a bag over my head LOL. Its helped me in the past. I always keep my chemist paper bags, I've been known to grab a empty bag of crisps in the past. Or if you have nothing you can discretely cup your hand over your mouth. This is very handy when your at work.
When i feel a little anxious, i say the word B****X in my head rather a lot.Its a very theraputic word. It makes me get angry & fight the anxiety attacks. There not going to drag me down :smt071
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »