Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 11:59 AM

agility newbie??

My daughter wants to try agility...with her shiba
She is old enough and fit enough but to what kind of obedience level do they need to be at before they start?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I was told a good wait command is a good idea! And also need to know the down command for the table when they learn that.

A good recall is also a good idea just in case they decide to run off during class!!

We only started this year and having a good time with it too!
Teal'c
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2007, 02:47 PM
I agree a good wait command, also dog knowing heel and side helps a lot as you advance. Not really obedience but knowing what motives the dog best be it a treat a toy/tuggy anything that will make agility extra fun for the dog. Wish your daughter good luck its great fun and I bet she will really enjoy it

And also need to know the down command for the table when they learn that.
This made me chuckly I've been doing agility nearly four years now and have never trained a table and never come across it at an agility comp until I saw one at crufts this year. Needless to say when I got back we had a wee practice
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Teal'c View Post
This made me chuckly I've been doing agility nearly four years now and have never trained a table and never come across it at an agility comp until I saw one at crufts this year. Needless to say when I got back we had a wee practice
Really - gosh!!!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 04:45 PM
LOL...not looking at doing it seriously...Shibas don't do anything seriously
Knowing Zara she'll probably sit at the start and refuse to move
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Best of luck Nikki, and to your daughter. I always think Lennon has enough energy for this, or flyball, but he's such a stubborn git, we wouldn't stand a chance. Let me know how you get on
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 06:52 PM
A few basic commands do help but not always essential as I found out with my JRT. He does not do commands at all he only does what Milo wants to do but in agility because he loves it he is really focused and does really well.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 02:53 PM
I would have thought as long as the dog doesn't run off and not come back, you are fine. Although, a good wait ould be handy. You learn all the other stuff when you are there.

I've been doing agility with Pippa for the past few months and she has only done the table once. I don't teach my dogs the down so she wasn't very good at it.

Helen
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Best of luck Nikki, and to your daughter. I always think Lennon has enough energy for this, or flyball, but he's such a stubborn git, we wouldn't stand a chance. Let me know how you get on

Lol...Zara is stubborn too!! Think its a shiba thing.Just hoping that her lust for food will overcome her will to do the opposite of what her handler wants