View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Animal Concern Cumbria
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

21-01-2006, 02:00 PM

Five-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier cross Dizzy.

History

Dizzy came to the kennels in 2003 when a man claimed he had been tied to his gate. Dizzy immediately showed odd behaviour of running round in circles and was duely named 'Dizzy'. After tests and examinations, we discovered that Dizzy had cateracts in both eyes and so we needed to raise £1800 for the operation. With the generousity of the public and ACC members we managed to raise enough money for Dizzy to have the operation to both eyes.

The operation was a success and partial sight was restored. Dizzy was still blind in one eye as it was presumed that he had never had sight in that eye from birth.
Dizzy then found a home. A young man who lived by himself took Dizzy into his heart and his home. After several months, we heard positive reports of Dizzy and then suddenly we were contacted regarding his return. Apparently the man's sister didn't like Dizzy and she threatened never to visit her brothers house again until the dog had gone. Obviously, the man had no choice, but to give Dizzy back to us.

On arrival at the kennels, Dizzy quickly returned to his circling ways and continued to show signs of immense stress. So yet again another appeal was launched to find a 'foster home' to get him out of the kennels.

We refused to give up on him and the appeal was stepped up. The oldie's club helped by publishing a report of Dizzy and Sasha in the local paper. Sadly no calls came.

Then after Christmas a volunteer for the west branch agreed to take Dizzy whilst he had his operation to remove the eye that has Glaucoma. This gave us another 4 weeks to try and find a more permanent solution. It also meant that he could be fully assessed within the home environment. And that is the story as it stands now....

January 2006

He is going to have one of his eyes removed on Monday 23rd January. He is affectionate and loves to play and while his blindness does not affect his everyday life too much, he cannot cope with other dogs.

Dizzy is currently in a foster home, but after he has recovered from his operation, he will have to go back to the kennels.

This is something that no-one wants to happen. Our vets have shown considerable concern for Dizzy's welfare over the previous months and although all the volunteers at the branch have done everything possible to try and find Dizzy a home, time is running out. In the meantime, we are hopeful. There will be a saviour out there.

Dizzy is ok with older children aged 7+ (who have an understanding that Dizzy is blind and should not be approached on his blind side as well as left alone when he is in his bed) Dizzy is housetrained, fully vaccinated, wormed, flea treated. He gives lots of affection and typical to his breed, he will mouth when he gets excited, but does not bite. He will give paw, and sit to command. Dizzy loves longish walks once he knows the territory and also loves to sleep during the day as he is used to living with someone who works. He is not destructive. he is currently living in the same house as a cat, who is an outdoor cat and never comes into close proximity of Dizzy. It is feared that should a cat approach Dizzy on his blind side, then he may attack it (although we are not able or willing to test this theory).

Do you know someone who may be able to find the love and companionship that Dizzy has to offer, rewarding and offer him the home he desperately needs?

If so, contact:
Amanda & John 07821040390
or Linda 01900 61669
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 02:17 PM
have emailed this once again to everyone I know - fingers crossed dizzy gets an offer soon
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog
have emailed this once again to everyone I know - fingers crossed dizzy gets an offer soon
Thanks Dani.. the more peeps that see this, the better THANK YOU
Animal Concern Cumbria
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

26-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Dizzy's operation was a success and he no longer has his left eye. But he is recovering well and Linda says he is thriving now that he is in a home environment. Sadly Dizzy will be going back to the kennels as soon as he gets the all clear from the vets.

Natasha has very kindly designed a poster for us which anyone is free to print off and put up where possible. Click the link to see it and save. (If you have any problems saving the poster, send an email to:animalconcerncumbria.westbranch@gmail.com)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...umbria_nat.jpg
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 09:45 AM
He's lovely, fingers and toes crossed again for a good home.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 12:53 PM
oh he is lovely shame he keeps being iver looked hopefully not for much longer
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Just a quick update:

Dizzy is now recovering very well from his operation and he has hopefully had the stitches and drain removed today. I saw him myself yesterday and he looks wonderful. He has gained weight and was bouncing around like a little pup. He was so pleased to see me and had the biggest staffy smile on his face that I've ever seen :smt049

His foster home won't be able to keep him for much longer though, so we're running out of time again.....
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Awww, I'm so glad his op went well and he's recovering well bless him

What an awful shame that he will have to go back to the kennels though It's so sad, poor fella I really do hope that someone can takehim before that has to happen!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 01:53 PM
I have fallen in love with this fella, but unfortunately my circumstances are so that I couldn't even consider getting another dog yet

I have passed word on to people I know, and I am keeping my fingers crossed!
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I have just sent an email around to all my freinds and family, maybe a friend of a freind will know someone in the cumbria area.

Its as much as I can do to help.

I've fallen in love with this guy too, and would love to give him a home, but I just live too far away.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »