View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2005, 06:26 PM

Heelwork to music - what does it involve?

does anyone know how i can found out if anyone in my area does heelwork to music classes?

Also, if uve been to any, wot are they like. ie how do they go about teachin it, general class structures etc
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2005, 08:19 AM
I can't help with location of classes in your area, but I do HTM.

You need a really good level of obedience - smart sits, stands, downs, turns, etc. Very good heelwork is essential. Then you need to find a piece of music that suits the rhythm of your heelwork, some thing with a good tempo, be it fast or slow. Then you just need to choreograph your heelwork pattern to the music.

ETA. HTM is a bit different to Dancing - not so many 'fancy' moves required.
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Have you lso tried a google search Jenny as there is lots of info on the internet about this?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 11:37 AM
thanks jake. ive looked on the net. ive found some video clips, but id like to find a list of moves and how to teach them
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Jenny I did a workshop with a lady called Mary Ray. She was at crufts this year and she also does workshops up and down the country it may be worth having a look on her site?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 04:07 PM
hi jake, thanks
i looked on her site but couldnt find anything maybe im lookin in the wrong place
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Jenny it was the teacher at our dog club who arranged it so I'll try and get some info for you.

Love Laura xx
crazyspaniels
Dogsey Junior

30-06-2005, 10:06 AM
I have just started, and am going to a Peter Curtis workshop next month, my working cocker doesn't do obedience style heelwork but has got the hang of it, alot of the videos show collies glued to legs but don't let that discourage you if you aren't a collie owner, our group consists of 4 gordon setters, 1 wocker, 1 springer, 2 goldies and 2 bullmastiffs.
We have fun and don't compete. Just watched Peter Curtis, The Moves, got about 40 hwtm moves well explained, there are also some good books. Mary Ray video, the socerer and her apprentice is also good.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

05-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Mary Rae is based in Warwickshire nr Rugby, not sure about workshop but could try and find out.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 07:40 PM
4 Gordon Setter Boy do I pity you

I don't do HTM so much as Freestyle. And we've never been to any classes. Though this August Attila Szkukalek is coming to Switzerland to do a Dogdancing/freestyle/HTM workshop. So that'd be something I really want to go to see.

Its great fun, and we have a small routine going with some easy moves.