Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Can You Get Flu If You Have Had The Flu Jab

After a few days of being very chesty and feeling rough I have woken up this morning aching from head to toe. I struggled to get out of bed and tried to get Lily out for a walk but my legs ached so badly i had to turn round and come back home i just couldn't do it. It was just sheer grit determination that got me out of bed and trying to move.
I have never had flu in my life, ao wouldn't really know what it felt like, and have had the flu jab so could this be flu still?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi Bev , the flu vaccination is a cocktail made up of specific strains of influenza which the W.H.O . consider to be prevalent in the world in any one particular year.

Many people mistake respiratory tract infections of which there are many for flu because the symptoms are similar.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Like any vaccine its never 100% , (I was vaccinated against something as a child, yet I still caught it), you can still get flu, but probably a much lower dose of it.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2012, 11:19 AM
you cannot catch flu from the flu vaccine. although there may be a possibility that if you have a lowered immune system/antibody count that it is probable that your body is struggling to make sufficient antibodies to fight off the vaccine.

from personal experience, the WHO haven't made good choices on strains this year because i've been pretty ill twice so far since my flu jab haha. still getting over my second bout
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2012, 11:38 AM
You poor thing There are an awful lot of flu like viruses going round at the moment so it certainly sounds like a really nasty virus to me. You can still get flu having had a vaccine but not that likely and it should only be mild if you do.

Keep warm, do nothing, lots of fluids and analgesics. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
All I can tell you is, I once had the worst bout of flu I've ever had in my life and that was just after I got my very first flu jab, so I've never had one ever again.

A cold is a cold, but when you have the flu, you just couldn't raise your head off the pillow, it affects all your muscles, it gives you a high temperature and you feel absolutely lousy for about 5 days min. so I do hope it isn't that Bev. Take good care of yourself and stay indoors in the warm. Take paracetamol every 4 hours, as I was once told by my doctor as it keeps that temperature down.
Meg
Supervisor

09-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
you cannot catch flu from the flu vaccine. although there may be a possibility that if you have a lowered immune system/antibody count that it is probable that your body is struggling to make sufficient antibodies to fight off the vaccine.

from personal experience, the WHO haven't made good choices on strains this year because i've been pretty ill twice so far since my flu jab haha. still getting over my second bout
What sometimes happens is people are incubating flu either just before they are vaccinated or in the days following . Immunity I am told doesn't take place immediately after vaccination but a number of days later.
This is why you are advised to have a vaccination only when you are well.

I have the flu vaccination every year but because I have an existing medical condition this doesn't prevent me from catching frequent serious respiratory tract infections which are quite similar to flu in their symptoms and last for three weeks. So I know for sure similar viruses to flu are out there.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2012, 04:11 PM
You might be interested in the Cochraine Reviews of the flu vaccine:

Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy adults

Influenza vaccines have a modest effect in reducing influenza symptoms and working days lost. There is no evidence that they affect complications, such as pneumonia, or transmission.

WARNING:
This review includes 15 out of 36 trials funded by industry (four had no funding declaration). An earlier systematic review of 274 influenza vaccine studies published up to 2007 found industry funded studies were published in more prestigious journals and cited more than other studies independently from methodological quality and size. Studies funded from public sources were significantly less likely to report conclusions favorable to the vaccines. The review showed that reliable evidence on influenza vaccines is thin but there is evidence of widespread manipulation of conclusions and spurious notoriety of the studies. The content and conclusions of this review should be interpreted in light of this finding.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...al+maintenance

Vaccines for preventing influenza in the elderly

Plain language summary

Vaccines for preventing seasonal influenza and its complications in people aged 65 or older

Influenza vaccination of elderly individuals is recommended worldwide as people aged 65 and older are at a higher risk of complications, hospitalisations and deaths from influenza. This review looked at evidence from experimental and non-experimental studies carried out over 40 years of influenza vaccination. We included 75 studies. These were grouped first according to study design and then the setting (community or long-term care facilities). The results are mostly based on non-experimental (observational) studies, which are at greater risk of bias, as not many good quality trials were available. Trivalent inactivated vaccines are the most commonly used influenza vaccines. Due to the poor quality of the available evidence, any conclusions regarding the effects of influenza vaccines for people aged 65 years or older cannot be drawn. The public health safety profile of the vaccines appears to be acceptable.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...al+maintenance

http://www.thecochranelibrary.com/de...e-Reviews.html
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Sorry to hear you are not well Bev, try and keep warm and rest as much as possible.

Helena's post is so true. I have had flu once, earlier this year. I felt horrendous, I went to bed on the Friday afternoon and stayed there until Wednesday lunch time. Everything in my body ached, the duvet touching me, the water from the shower really hurt my skin. Apart from when I had my appendix out, I don't think I have ever felt so poorly in my life
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks everyone and Thanks LS for the reviews, they were very interesting.
I had the flu vaccine at the beginning of October, so I know its not a reaction to the vaccine now, but I wondered if I might have a mild bout of flu.
However I had an appointment with the pharmacist for a review of my medication this morning and he said there is a nasty virus going around. He was concerned about how bad my breathing was with my COPD so has asked me to go and see my GP tomorrow.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >