Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Harry's Dad
Sorry but, please don't castrate me for this, I am a smoker.

However I do support a ban. I have been an ex smoker in the past (for up to 18 months at a time) and know its disgusting. I keep trying.

I would like to see cigarettes themselves banned, for the sake of my 10yr old daughter and all other children who may go on to smoke.

Smokers are a dying breed - literally.
the thought of my kids smoking when they are older frightens the life out of me

i have never in my life even tried one, they just do not appeal to me in the slightest but my OH gave up, just quit cold turkey almost 3 years ago and more recently his dad did the same after smoking for 30+ years

so although its hard, it can be done, but my OH tells me you have to WANT to give up
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 01:00 PM
As a smoker I dont agree with a total ban, but one that bans smoking in family places, eating places.

As an adult I HAVE THE CHOICE, and in a democratic country that should remain but unfortunatley this country is fast becoming a nanny state.

This ban is so hypocritical. MP's can still smoke in Westminster and Buck palace so its not a total ban.
Also MP's dont pay tax on the fags or booze in westminister, how unfair is that!!!

The next stupid law will be huge VAT on food cause people are eating to much and costing the NHS more money than smokers ever did!!
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-02-2006, 01:12 PM
have you noticed that in a lot of places the non-smoking area is empty
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by rob
have you noticed that in a lot of places the non-smoking area is empty
To be honest.....no.
If I go for a meal - cafe/restaurant etc, I always end up waiting for a no smoking table.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 02:51 PM
I vote for Roger too.
Good point about air pollutants...what about banning cars etc??????
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Why on earth can't we just have smoking and non-smoking establishments? Then everyone would have the freedom to choose where they go.
& the people who work there will they have a choice ? I heard one person say if the staff don't smoke they should get a job somewhere else & if there is no where else(there isn't in our village)they should move to where there is work ! A breach of their civil liberty having to move away because you don't smoke !
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Of course they have a choice - people who work in pubs are not lost little puppies with no control over where they chose to work and live. Plenty of people have to move to a different area to find work - I did.

Many jobs have occupational hazards - if the hazards are too high then don't do that particular job...

Of course if there were smoking AND non smoking establishments then they could CHOSE to work in either!
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 08:24 PM
i packed in smoking nearly six months ago.before that i smoked 60 aday
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Daysleeper40
Of course they have a choice - people who work in pubs are not lost little puppies with no control over where they chose to work and live. Plenty of people have to move to a different area to find work - I did.

Many jobs have occupational hazards - if the hazards are too high then don't do that particular job...

Of course if there were smoking AND non smoking establishments then they could CHOSE to work in either!
what so you as a smoker should have a choice,, but me as a non smoker should just go elsewhere?? do you know how selfish that sounds??

your habit happens to harm others aswell as yourself and im afraid to say that as adults we all deserve to breathe good clean air, and smokers should either stay at home or be prepared to make sacrifices for others who chose not to polute their lungs
why should the non smokers who do not harm other peoples lungs have to stay away from places as others think its their god given right to kill themselves and others around them??
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I think what was ment was if your a total anti smoker then you wouldn't choose to work in a busy smokers bar........bit like complaining about over head aircraft noise if you buy a house under a flight path

think thats what was ment
Page 14 of 17 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >