Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9maxie
New Member!
Male 

25-10-2014, 06:47 PM

Rehoming dogs

It saddens me to see all the dogs on the rehoming page crying out for a forever home. I would dearly love to take on a rescue but fear this will never happen because I work full time. I have tried many times through various rescues but as soon as work is mentioned, the barriers have come down despite me explaining that my dogs are perfectly happy with their daily routine whilst I'm at work (a 9 to 5 job during which time I go home for lunch and again briefly mid afternoon; I literally live 6 doors away from my work place).

I was wondering if anyone else has suffered the same problem, or maybe knows of a rescue that is a bit more flexible with this general blanket policy that most rescues seem to have. In one way it's perfectly understandable that stringent rules are in place, but it also means that perfectly good and loving homes get overlooked.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2014, 07:30 PM
It is heartbreaking. Half of me understands and half gets upset about it.
I have always worked shifts, so that meant that either myself or my hubby was at home the majority of the time.
Good luck I'm sure something will turn up.
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2014, 06:20 PM
What saddens me most about this and what was mentioned in another thread as well is the fact that this attitude is now making people turn to importing rescue dogs, which ultimately is going to end up costing a rescue dog over here it's life.

Of course you don't want to rescue a dog from one life (of possible neglect) just to put it in another situation where it will be alone for long periods of time, no one will say its ideal, but is it really better to kill the animals because not all of them can be re-homed under perfect circumstances?

I watch so many of these rescue programs where dogs are chained up in yards with barely any shelter or food and water and can't help but think surely a loving owner who's there evenings and weekends beats spending the rest of your life in a kennel until you get euthanised?
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2014, 06:51 PM
I don't understand why you can't get a dog if you go home. I big business these days is dog walkers, surely if you can prove you are employing a dog walker in the middle of the day, the dog can go to a home where owners work full time. I can understand not rehoming to somewhere the dogs will be closed in from, say, 8am to 6pm, but if the dogs are walked in the middle of the day, it opens up so many more homes.
Saying that, I don't think most pounds are as fussy and they are usually the ones that PTS dogs.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm sure many older dogs would be very happy with your situation. Have a look at the site specifically for oldies.