Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-08-2014, 11:21 AM

Ten Dog Breeds That Love to Dig

Few of us cheer when our dog digs up our garden. However, we should keep in mind that if a dog has digging genes, in many cases we humans developed that natural trait to serve our purposes. It’s not the dog’s fault our objectives have changed.

While all dog breeds have some instinct to dig and may scratch or dig at the floor, carpet or bed, as he looks for the perfect spot, there is no doubt that some dogs take their digging a little more seriously than others.

See which dog breeds are most likely to dig and find out why they do it.
Full article and some lovely photographs here...

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-breeds/dogs-that-dig.aspx

Is your dog a digger?
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Sophie no. She's never been into digging at all really. Callie on the other paw could open his own excavation business. Big broad paws and solid shoulders, he can dig himself a crater in minutes.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2014, 05:47 PM
My Nigredo adores digging, GIANT holes! Like.. you-can-fall-and-break-your-neck holes. Started this when he was little, ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Quickly had to nip this in the bud. He gets BOTH feet and scrapes out the dirt with both feet, hurling tons of dirt and creating a giant hole quickly.

No other dogs I've had, save a Rottie named Shelly, who'd kinda paw the ground, but not actually DIG, have bothered digging even a little bit.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2014, 01:13 AM
Fortunate for Callie I gave up on the backyard. It's fenced in and surrounded by permanent bushes and greenery. But if he digs a hole or three that's fine.
The front yard is where I grow flowers and plants I don't want wrecked. Then again some of the cats will drag seedlings out of the ground and toss them about.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 01:53 AM
Our backyard is a huge forest and I don't like Nigredo going in there without me. There are random rabbit holes etc. he has a tendency to fall into and I like to have him leashed before we go in, so he has to stay in the front.

What's worse is he especially likes to dig in puddles of water after a rain, flinging mud and water all over while also making a huge hole. Gets him wayyyy dirtier, as well. I'm very fussy about keeping him clean... so this is a huge no-no.

And YES, I don't want holes all over the place in the front yard. He dug one once (I was planting on the porch, hardly paying him any attention), and I didn't feel like filling it in ATM because I was tired, and my dad (who I live with and assist, and who drags a leg badly and is a disabled, retired stroke victim) stepped in it and nearly fell down. Lots of swear words anybody near us would have learned that day.

Our cats don't bother outdoor plants... but tend to EAT indoor plants, so they always die and look half eaten. No digging allowed on the premises, but when we go to parks and whatnot... I take him into the fields and he can dig to his hearts content.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
My Nigredo adores digging, GIANT holes! Like.. you-can-fall-and-break-your-neck holes. Started this when he was little, ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Quickly had to nip this in the bud. He gets BOTH feet and scrapes out the dirt with both feet, hurling tons of dirt and creating a giant hole quickly.

No other dogs I've had, save a Rottie named Shelly, who'd kinda paw the ground, but not actually DIG, have bothered digging even a little bit.
That made me chuckle.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Remus would love to dig if he was allowed but our tiny postage stamp sized garden can't handle it. But we often go to a sports field where there are a couple of huge mountains of sand and soil dumped in the car park and he goes mad in there. He digs really fast and frenzied. Tonks occasionally joins in but she's not so bothered.

My families last dog, GSDXCOLLIE x whippet Lurcher absolutely loved to dig. And my old fox hound cross also loved to dig. He used to go to work with my ex husband who worked on Rigths of Way (maintaining foot paths etc) one time they worked in the same place for three days and Lenny dug so far in that by the end of the third day he had dug a whole/tunnel he could walk intom turnaround, and come back out of!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Catrin, I'd think a smaller yard might be better for digging. Our yard is not small, but if Nigredo had his way, there would be holes all over and I KNOW people would fall down because you'd not be on the lookout as much.

Cosmetically, our yard is already ugly... Dog pee yellow burns all over, crappy plants all over, horrid patchy grass, overgrown EVERYTHING, a mess! My main worry is my disabled father or my mother (who doesn't move well, either) hurting themselves.

Also delivery people, random kids or people asking us things such as Jehovahs (arguably wish they'd fall in so they'd avoid our house ) or door to door fund raisers etc. , our sparse visitors, my brother and I, or our pets can also fall by stepping into a hole unexpectedly.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Yep, like Nigredo, Poppy loves to dig. Great big holes anywhere she's not fussy. On the beach she makes great progress but she's even managed to make inroads on the decking
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2014, 10:33 AM
When Ram came round to give Pereg and Little One their shots when Pereg was maybe just 18 months old, she was outside digging her way through to Australia!

Little One had never bothered digging but Pereg went through a phase of it, and Ram laughed and said that she was just acting like a normal puppy and as long as it did not cause problems, just let her dig.

So I did and she grew out of it. Never caused any damage to the yard as it was where nobody could walk, but oh did she enjoy it while she went through that phase!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >