Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fengzeng
New Member!
Male 

04-08-2014, 06:35 AM

I am gonna buy a dog, but which?

I am gonna buy a dog. Personally I prefer Shiba Inu because it's cute and looks good. But I heard a lot of people say that Shiba is not easy to train. My choices are Siberian Husky, Akita Inu, which looks like Shiba (I know there are some other looks for Akita, but I like the one which looks like Shiba). Someone suggests me Poodle or Bulldog, but they are not my types, cause I don't like small dogs.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Hi Fengzeng,
Welcome to Dogsey.

Your choice of dogs are ones which appeal to me very much - in fact my last GSD cross had a very definite look if shiba inu about her.
Having said that, I'm far from an expert on any breed but what I do know is that the more research you do into any breed of dog you are thinking of getting, the better for you AND the dog.
The breeds you mention are quite wilful and this might make them difficult yo train.
Have you owned a dog before and are you home all day to be with it? These are a couple of points that spring to mind.

The dogs we find the most attractive sadly do not always make us the best pet.
fengzeng
New Member!
Male 

04-08-2014, 08:00 AM
I am not always at home and play with my dog. I had Golden Retriever before and he was so loyal but he passed away ten years ago. I don't want another GR for not reminding the sadness from my previous one. I have a flexible working schedule. I prefer a dog that will grow up with up (by that I mean it will grow bigger not like toy poodle). As for Shiba, I really like it but I don't want to spend too much time on training. If I can find a dog that mixes with shiba-like and easily trained, I will be happy.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2014, 09:34 AM
ALL dogs require a lot of training, and there is more to dogs than just looks.
Perhaps you could let us know a little about you schedule and time you'd be willing to give to a dog?
For example, if you work full time then come home and veg out, maybe a 10 minute walk round the block, something like a husky is NOT going to be suitable
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2014, 10:23 AM
You should not get a dog because it's cute and looks good. You have to get the proper breed for you. I don't particularly "like" small dogs, either. My dog of choice are Lab types, and that is what they will always be.

But Labs are high energy, greedy, chewy dogs. They love to swim, run, and jump up on everything. They need training or they can easily become unruly and EAT your house. They are also very high on the doggy intelligence scale and can outsmart owners.

Akitas and Shiba Inus are NOT for first time owners unless extensive research is done beforehand. Bulldogs tend to have horrible and expensive health issues, and Poodles are high maintenance and not for everyone.

I'm biased but for an easily trained, food responsive, and not mega stubborn dog, I recommend a Labrador. Also huskies and Shibas shed a ton, can get very annoying. Maybe a Coonhound or Bloodhound or something might do for you?

Like the other users said, your schedule and experience means a lot with a decision like this.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2014, 04:41 PM
First off perhaps you don't need to "buy" a dog. If you live near any medium to large humane society there are countless unwanted dogs needing homes. Perhaps you can find a nice mix with a sweet appearance but also the qualities you want in a dog.

I can't tell you what breeds to look for but I can tell you a few breeds that do not do well unless an owner is dedicated to loving yet firm discipline, daily regular exercise and a schedule that allows for frquent bonding time...

Any of the sled breeds-We had a husky many years ago. The first words that come to mind are strong, willful, escape artists that need firm direction and at least a few hours of vigorous exercise a day. They are gorgeous however.

The shepherd breeds-Need a confident owner who has time to build a strong bond. If these dogs love and respect their owner they'll try to stop a tank for them. If they don't have that all important bond they can dominate their owner and be dangerous dogs indeed.

Border Collies-with the right human and daily jobs to do these incredible pups are possibly the most intelligent dog there ever was. However a bored lonely border collie will decimate a house, develop neurotic behaviors and possibly prove to be too much dog.

The bully breeds including English. English bull dogs are medium sized galoots, I mean that in the best way possible. I love all the bull breeds. The English often come with many health issues. Even in the best case you need your vet on speed dial to be safe.

Any others in this category Staffies, bull terriers, AmStaff, AmBull are miserable without regular daily human companionship. They need careful training from day one with equal parts babying and firm discipline. An owner needs the self-confidence and empathy to know how to do both effectively.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2014, 02:09 AM
Hi Fengzeng,

I must admire your taste in dogs! I am biased, of course. That said, I really wouldn't recommend an Akita, or its smaller cousin the Shiba Inu, for someone in your circumstances. These dogs are very demanding, in terms of training, in terms of time, and in terms of space. They do not do well without consistent training, and they need lots of time with you-- in the house with you. They do not like to be separated from their families, so if you don't have a lot of time to be with them, or if you have to keep them outside, this is not the breed for you. Also, they shed like mayhem. You've had a Golden. They do hair, I know, but they are like a toddler on a tricycle to an Akita's Tour de France champion in terms of hair production. Can you handle this?

The more research you do, the better off you and your future dog will be. All the best to you.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Love Big Pooches here also.

I would say, look at how much time you have versus energy level first off.

2nd training and what the breed needs. By that, some dogs do better with longer hours away from there owner.

3rd grooming/drooling/diet needs.

Best wishes in your search.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Akitas are not "indoorsy" dogs from what I gather. They were bred to be outside with sleds much of the time, so I'd not think they'd enjoy being cooped up in the house all the time. Goes against what they were bred for and how they were kept. Also, because of their exercise requirements, it also does not seem as if they'd enjoy being inside too much.

A large outdoor run would be better, I'd think. I mean not left outside all the time, but plenty of outside time. Also, it might help with hair getting all over your house, though the dogs do shed a ton and need "blowing" out from time to time at the vets.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Akitas are not "indoorsy" dogs from what I gather. They were bred to be outside with sleds much of the time, so I'd not think they'd enjoy being cooped up in the house all the time. Goes against what they were bred for and how they were kept. Also, because of their exercise requirements, it also does not seem as if they'd enjoy being inside too much.

A large outdoor run would be better, I'd think. I mean not left outside all the time, but plenty of outside time. Also, it might help with hair getting all over your house, though the dogs do shed a ton and need "blowing" out from time to time at the vets.
what does that mean.....also Akitas are not sled dogs and can and do live indoors . That being said I don't think it's a breed for this poster, nor ant of the northern breeds if training is going to be at a minimum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >