Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Junkers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-01-2005, 10:00 PM

Door bells and natural instinct

I have had a problem with my dog for a few years now and it is when ever a door bell rings on tv he starts to bark like someone is knocking on the front door at our house but even have a door bell we never have.

Thanks,

Junkers
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Oh you're not alone there Junkers Ours react to banging on doors and doorbells on t.v..and once one starts, trying to convince the other three that there is no one there, is really hard
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2005, 10:11 PM
I have the same thing at my house!
Something n the TV goes, and Teagan runs to the front window or door and barks, then Kingsley starts!

I think they are just 'warning' me someone is here (even though no one is!), and being protective of 'their' house.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Shaan does the same thing, he even barks at the sound of his previous owners doorbell too
Junkers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-01-2005, 10:21 PM
yeah popeye dose all of that but the weirdest thing he can do is start barking before anyone turns up at our house maybe 1 or two minutes before they actually turn up then when dad gets back from work he dosent bark atall i think i must be some sort of 6th sence.

We also live in the middle of nowhere so he can be hearing things comming down our track.

Thanks,

Junkers
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Dogs have very accute hearing and can pick up on things that are not audible to us.

My dogs know when my kids are coming home a good ten minutes before they ring the doorbell, they also know the sounds of friends cars, before they pull up.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2005, 06:20 AM
Star barks at doorbells on tv as well as our front door
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2005, 09:16 AM
My first bitch, Lara would know when my OH was coming home from work but the strangest thing was, that one week he'd finish at 5:30 and the following week he'd finish at 6 and she knew what week it was cos she woudn't sit at the door till the exact time he was leaving work

My current dog is the complete opposite. He won't budge or make a sound when someone knocks the door.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Junkers
I have had a problem with my dog for a few years now and it is when ever a door bell rings on tv he starts to bark like someone is knocking on the front door at our house but even have a door bell we never have.
Thanks,
Junkers
Hi Junkers Regarding the doorbell, all my house dogs have always done this both with the TV and real ones , I never get cross with them though because they are doing their job and telling me of possible danger. Instead I let them bark a couple of times, call them to me and give praise. By this time having been distracted the 'threat' gone away and the barking stops.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2005, 10:09 AM
It's funny we always had doorbell barkers till our elderly dogs went deaf. We got Mollie when we still had 2 of our deafies and she copied them and took no notice of the doorbell, both deafies had died before we got Duncan but he copies Mollie - so neither of them react to the doorbell. Peace !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >