View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2014, 12:10 AM
I lived in a big working men's club when I was young. It was one of the first to have colour tv. It was hilarious - purple sky and grass so vivid a green it hurt the eyes . It also had a telephone. A proper dial phone, but in those days it was very posh to have access to a 'phone without going to an outside 'phone box which was also dial up and with A and B buttons which were pressed dependent on whether the call went through or not. Twin tub washers, terry towelling nappies held on with massive safety pins. Mind you, the twin tub was handy for them because they could be boil washed.

We also had central heating in the club but it was only on during opening hours. It was unheard of in most houses. I remember in my first house, a terraced house, an entrepreneurial salesman came knocking on doors to try to push central heating. It would have cost more to put in than the price of the house . No double glazing either. That was something wasn't available
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Yes, ice on the INSIDE of the windows in the winter and a coal fire to keep the house warm, paraffin heater on the upstairs landing, and in later years a gas wall heater at the bottom of the stairs, luxury indeed!!!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-12-2014, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Phil I always found Hartley Hare a little spooky
Wasn't it just
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3