Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2014, 12:40 AM

Stinkpot Ben.

Hes almost 13 now. and crikey he gets bad wind now. stinks us out most nights. he just lays there and lets 1 go. this normal with aging dogs??
hes on tramadol 100mg at night. should be day and night but hes just zonked out on them,and it seems to be ok. hes not constipated. he had a mixture of tinned and a cupful of dried food mixed in. hes lost all his excess weight im glad to say. and boy is he a grumbler now. and im sure he has a form of doggy dementia?? do dogs get that??
ive probably put this in the wrong section sorry.
im making him an appointment with the vets this week.see what they say.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-12-2014, 01:38 AM
Yes dog can get a form of dementia. Forget the exact name of it off hand. For gas you may need to adjust his diet. Not sure if it is all dogs but mastiffs who are famous for gas, seem to have far less on a raw diet.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2014, 12:09 PM
My same was a JR. He was 18. When he passed wind everyone run out the room. We did laugh u had to for a small dog u never seen ppl move so fast.
Also sometimes he would get up face the wall and look completely lost. It's normle x
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Not sure if it will help, but sometimes the gas is caused because the dog "gulps" his food, splitting his meals up in to smaller portions throughout the day would help with that.

Always good to see the vet, there might be some dietary supplements like activated charcoal to help with the stink

good luck!
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Sadly dogs do get a type of Alzheimers disease called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction, so your Ben may be in the early stages of this but a vet will confirm or otherwise. As regards the wind situation, mixing a little activated charcoal in with feeds as the previous poster suggested is a good idea, at the same time a heaped tablespoon of chopped parsley added to their meal will freshen air coming from either end. Good luck.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2014, 02:09 PM
the wind could be caused by the tramadol, both of my old dogs used to make us gag when they were on it
as for the dementia, yes dogs so get it and if you are worried you could ask your vet for something, i had my old girl on selgian briefly but there are other things you can use that are based on omega oils i think, i used to get some stuff from vetuk for diesel my old girl
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Looks worried I'm on Tramdol Lol
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm always kind of suspicious of what might really be in tinned/canned dog food. For some reason the dry dog food doesn't bother me as much, but when you think about it you don't really know what's in that either. My dogs do have a "good" dry food available all the time, but they mostly eat whatever I eat except for the few things that aren't good for dogs. Maybe you could use some kind of chopped meat and veggies with the dry food.