View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2014, 01:34 PM
I laugh at people who refuse to let dogs stay outside. They are dogs, they enjoy being outside. Plat with them a lot, ensure they have a nice place to sleep, possibly let them in sometimes, and outdoor dogs will thrive. There is a solid reason dogs are always mega happy to go outside on walks etc.

Pit bulls are high energy and if cooped up inside, can be terribly destructive. They need a big yard and tons of outdoor time. Games of chase and tug, Springpole tugging, long walks each day. Imo, they need to ideally spend as much or more time outdoors as indoors. We're talking about pit bull terrier here, not lazy bully type pit bulls. No chains, though.. that can drive them mad.

Secure fencing is needed for all outdoor dogs to prevent escape. If this is temporary, the dog will be fine. Get him an insulated doghouse with something warm in it, or if possible, bring him in at night. Again, these are dogs, they will be fine outside. Pit bulls are sturdy dogs and are fine in nearly all temperatures.

Do not listen to people who say keeping dogs outside is cruel. People seem to forget they are dogs, and dogs are animals, which live outside except for pets. Ignoring a dogs needs is cruel. If the area is clean, spacious, has proper bedding and security, and the dog gets walks and playtime along with proper food and water, a vet when he needs it, and socialization, then there is nothing cruel about it.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by KingPitbull View Post
Nope. I would never ever keep any dog outside.

Especially any dog with pit in it.

I mean, what if he/she gets emotional from lack of social contact or something and break out of the fence and attack someone?

What if it rains hard or gets really cold?

I would be thinking(worrying)about my dog all of the time if I kept it outside.

But that's just me. I can't speak for everyone.
Dogs kept outside should not lack socialization, and dogs kept indoors, especially pit bulls will struggle to thrive without tons of exercise. People who work all day and leave their dogs in a crate all day are worse than people who leave their dogs in a properly fenced area. At least the dog can move and play in a natural surrounding.

A well trained and reared dog, be it indoors out outdoors, should not bite people randomly. Weather is easily dealt with by a good dog house. Dog will stay dry and warm. Frankly, dogs truly enjoy being outside, and if the owner is good, being out there won't negatively affect the dogs livelihood.
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi, I didn't realize people could still see this thread LOL. I am the original poster and wanted to give you all an update.
We built Mikey his own house. And by house, I mean house. Not dog house. If I could figure out how to post pictures on here, I would show you all.

It's an 8X12 building, fully insulated with the thickest available insulation. Has a covered porch that his doggy door leads out to. Inside is carpeted with a couch...yes, a full size couch. And...it has a brand new propane fireplace with fresh air in-take, oxygen regulator and temp control thermostat that turns the fireplace off and on. It's currently set at 65 degrees. He now has a 25 x 15 fully fenced in run.
His house has French doors, that are in line with our master bedroom, living room windows and dining room windows...we can always look in on him. It has battery operated LED lights mounted inside, but our back light shines right in so we can still see him at night. We visit him at least 4 times a day for usually a half hour or more. Walk him around yard. Cuddle on the couch in his house with him, play with him...etc. Every time I go to store or run quick errands in car, I grab him and take him a long.

So far, he's still the sweetest, cuddly pup and appears to actually really love it out there. He loves his yard and laying on his porch! I do want to get him a tether tug type thing for his yard...not sure what that entails, so if anybody has advice on that, it would be greatly appreciated it!

Thank you everybody again for your advice and words of wisdom!
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I laugh at people who refuse to let dogs stay outside. They are dogs, they enjoy being outside. Plat with them a lot, ensure they have a nice place to sleep, possibly let them in sometimes, and outdoor dogs will thrive. There is a solid reason dogs are always mega happy to go outside on walks etc.

Pit bulls are high energy and if cooped up inside, can be terribly destructive. They need a big yard and tons of outdoor time. Games of chase and tug, Springpole tugging, long walks each day. Imo, they need to ideally spend as much or more time outdoors as indoors. We're talking about pit bull terrier here, not lazy bully type pit bulls. No chains, though.. that can drive them mad.

Secure fencing is needed for all outdoor dogs to prevent escape. If this is temporary, the dog will be fine. Get him an insulated doghouse with something warm in it, or if possible, bring him in at night. Again, these are dogs, they will be fine outside. Pit bulls are sturdy dogs and are fine in nearly all temperatures.

Do not listen to people who say keeping dogs outside is cruel. People seem to forget they are dogs, and dogs are animals, which live outside except for pets. Ignoring a dogs needs is cruel. If the area is clean, spacious, has proper bedding and security, and the dog gets walks and playtime along with proper food and water, a vet when he needs it, and socialization, then there is nothing cruel about it.
Thank you!! I just posted an update on Mikey and his new "house".
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Dogs kept outside should not lack socialization, and dogs kept indoors, especially pit bulls will struggle to thrive without tons of exercise. People who work all day and leave their dogs in a crate all day are worse than people who leave their dogs in a properly fenced area. At least the dog can move and play in a natural surrounding.

A well trained and reared dog, be it indoors out outdoors, should not bite people randomly. Weather is easily dealt with by a good dog house. Dog will stay dry and warm. Frankly, dogs truly enjoy being outside, and if the owner is good, being out there won't negatively affect the dogs livelihood.
Thank you, I posted an update on Mikey below.
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by cfaith View Post
Hi, I didn't realize people could still see this thread LOL. I am the original poster and wanted to give you all an update.
We built Mikey his own house. And by house, I mean house. Not dog house. If I could figure out how to post pictures on here, I would show you all.

It's an 8X12 building, fully insulated with the thickest available insulation. Has a covered porch that his doggy door leads out to. Inside is carpeted with a couch...yes, a full size couch. And...it has a brand new propane fireplace with fresh air in-take, oxygen regulator and temp control thermostat that turns the fireplace off and on. It's currently set at 65 degrees. He now has a 25 x 15 fully fenced in run.
His house has French doors, that are in line with our master bedroom, living room windows and dining room windows...we can always look in on him. It has battery operated LED lights mounted inside, but our back light shines right in so we can still see him at night. We visit him at least 4 times a day for usually a half hour or more. Walk him around yard. Cuddle on the couch in his house with him, play with him...etc. Every time I go to store or run quick errands in car, I grab him and take him a long.

So far, he's still the sweetest, cuddly pup and appears to actually really love it out there. He loves his yard and laying on his porch! I do want to get him a tether tug type thing for his yard...not sure what that entails, so if anybody has advice on that, it would be greatly appreciated it!

Thank you everybody again for your advice and words of wisdom!
Here are links to pictures of Mikey and his house. Hope they open ok.

mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Oh, wow. That is grand! Good work. I think he will be fine there. Make sure the fencing is nice and solid, and you're good to go
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Where's my suitcase???I'm coming to live at yours Think I'd be quite happy living in there with gorgeous Mikey Brilliant
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Can you pop over here and upgrade the girlies accommodation please, although I think a couch would be shredded and not sure how long the tv would last
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Lol, thanks! A lot of thought was put into that house.
Everybody thinks I'm crazy (except crazy dog people like me). I think my boyfriend is crazier for agreeing to build it.
That is actually the fireplace in the corner, not a tv. But trust me, I thought of how I could get electric out there and set up a tv for him too. Lol. Maybe some day. For now he'll just have to enjoy the outdoors or the soft glow of his fireplace flickering. It sets the mood for when he has lady friends over.
So far the only damage is him trying to break into the locked cabinet under the fireplace...that's where his food and treats are locked up.
As for the fencing...we walk the perimeter everyday to see if he's trying to dig, but so far nothing. He does like to bury his stuff, but unfortunately Mike's digging and burying skills are rather pathetic. It looks like he takes a spoon and just dumps a couple teaspoons of dirt over his bones. He's "special" lol.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >