Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Ah, there is more to this tale, much more Labradork ! Probably better just to say that hell would most likely freeze over before they would allow such an Irresponsible Dog Owner (I think that's what "she" called me last time we spoke!) to take their valuable pedigree Airedale for a walk with my common mongrel !!

You will probably have got a good picture of these people !!
Ok. Forget that idea then.

Not the kind of people I would choose to mix with either!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have heard that putting something up the attackers behind works.

Lol!

That's cracked me up.

"Honestly, Officer, I was just breaking up a fight."
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 04:56 PM
The biggest dogs I have spilt up in a really serious fight are GSDs and I did this with the back leg method, once she let go I then slipped a lead round the dogs neck, high up behind the ears, I know people don't like this but tough, better than a dead dog, this allowed me to gain control over her while the owner of the other dog followed my lead and did the same, I think I was about 15 at the time, the GSD was not even mine but I intervened when I saw the fight and 2 hapless owners flapping about letting their dogs rip each other up. When I think on, that is probably the most serious fight I have even been involved in.

Other times I have managed to slip a lead under the 'worst' dog's neck and then put the clip end through the handle so is makes a sort of slip lead and pull it up high around the dogs neck to control their head, hold at arms length! I have found that usually works but when they are going hell for leather it's hard to grab hold of either of them where you want to so try and distract them as has been said by throwing something over their head, like a coat, always target the dog that seems to be the worst, once under control the other will most likely be easily controlled by someone else.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Lol!

That's cracked me up.

"Honestly, Officer, I was just breaking up a fight."
Probably the owner who deserves it more!

JMO but i'd never do this...
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
The biggest dogs I have spilt up in a really serious fight are GSDs and I did this with the back leg method, once she let go I then slipped a lead round the dogs neck, high up behind the ears, I know people don't like this but tough, better than a dead dog, this allowed me to gain control over her while the owner of the other dog followed my lead and did the same, I think I was about 15 at the time, the GSD was not even mine but I intervened when I saw the fight and 2 hapless owners flapping about letting their dogs rip each other up. When I think on, that is probably the most serious fight I have even been involved in.

Other times I have managed to slip a lead under the 'worst' dog's neck and then put the clip end through the handle so is makes a sort of slip lead and pull it up high around the dogs neck to control their head, hold at arms length! I have found that usually works but when they are going hell for leather it's hard to grab hold of either of them where you want to so try and distract them as has been said by throwing something over their head, like a coat, always target the dog that seems to be the worst, once under control the other will most likely be easily controlled by someone else.
Now that sounds a brilliant idea ! I've got several of those rope slip leads, they are great aren't they. I think I shall make sure I have always got one of those on me in future. You can safely harness your dog mid-fight without getting bitten. I think with most dogs as well, once they felt the familiar tug of a collar high up, as you describe, that will clear the "red mist" and bring them back. GSDs in particular I find are notorious at "red mist-ing". My experience is that they just won't give up, they keep coming and coming, like the Terminator, your dog is desperately trying to get away or submit, but the GSD won't allow them to, and it can end up with serious injury.

Very good suggestion Random, I shall make sure I carry one of these leads in future.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Probably the owner who deserves it more!

JMO but i'd never do this...

No, neither would I ! But I think Labradork was probably joking !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi J Once a fight starts the dog's body will be flooded with adrenalin which means it is unlike to be able to hear you so shouting won't help.
Try to buy a moments pause in the fighting with an element of surprise.
Throw something over the dog's eyes, a coat/jumper/anything you have to hand. This hopefully will cause the dog to let go for a split second. Now pick up the dog's back legs wheelbarrow fashion and walk back wards turning slightly if you can to break eye contact.
Hopefully then you can gain control of the dogs.
This is true Mini, it's like when they have got onto the trail of something and got away from you ... they just go deaf, literally ! All their senses are focussed on one thing ... in this case fighting ... which is why IMO you should never wade in and try and separate fighting dogs, unless you really know how to do it.

Waiting for a pause in the fighting is far more my cup of tea ... I like the sound of throwing a coat over a dog's head, and I like Random's looping a slip lead high up on a dog's neck. I'm not sure about this grabbing the back legs, don't think I would be too happy to do that, I prefer to grab the tail, not to pull, but just to act as a curb as it were. This worked very well with Hal, it broke the "red mist" moment as I call it and brings them back into reality. No eye contact as you say is very important too.

Good post.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi J Once a fight starts the dog's body will be flooded with adrenalin which means it is unlike to be able to hear you so shouting won't help.
Try to buy a moments pause in the fighting with an element of surprise.
Throw something over the dog's eyes, a coat/jumper/anything you have to hand. This hopefully will cause the dog to let go for a split second. Now pick up the dog's back legs wheelbarrow fashion and walk back wards turning slightly if you can to break eye contact.
Hopefully then you can gain control of the dogs.
Protect your dog with your calm assertive body ! Get your little chap on his lead behind you, and protect him from the larger dog by blocking him with your body. You can use your voice, shouting No at the dog, or Down, or something like that, but do not go off on one at the owner at this stage, even though you might want to! Save that till later ! Once you have "rescued" your little ones, THEN you can attack the owner !
Thanks guys! Great advice, now all I have to do is hope I never have to use it and if I do that I remember it in the heat of the moment!

J
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Now that sounds a brilliant idea ! I've got several of those rope slip leads, they are great aren't they. I think I shall make sure I have always got one of those on me in future. You can safely harness your dog mid-fight without getting bitten. I think with most dogs as well, once they felt the familiar tug of a collar high up, as you describe, that will clear the "red mist" and bring them back. GSDs in particular I find are notorious at "red mist-ing". My experience is that they just won't give up, they keep coming and coming, like the Terminator, your dog is desperately trying to get away or submit, but the GSD won't allow them to, and it can end up with serious injury.

Very good suggestion Random, I shall make sure I carry one of these leads in future.
I always have a small slip lead in my coat just in case, also good for strays!

No, neither would I ! But I think Labradork was probably joking !!
But some people might try it!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Breaking their concentration is the main thing...

I broke up a fight between two GSDs by throwing my keys on the pavement beside them.. I carry a massive bunch of work and car and house keys and this startled them both enough that I was able to then get a noose lead (Selkie's, so i always have it, can't be doing with trying to find a collar loop in all that fur) around the instigator and hand him to his owner.. The victim's owner seemed the more sensible and was able to grab hers by the collar.

I know a man who has a big Malamute around here which he knows is dog aggressive carries an air horn in his pocket in case a loose dog runs up and his Mal grabs it, the shocking loud noise works every time and could be just the thing to save your little pup's life if grabbed by a bigger dog... Though it does scare the hell out of everyone!...

The only thing that used to work on a Newfoundland I used to walk if he grabbed a cat or a small furry was a small fire extinguisher I carried in my pocket (one of the little camp stove ones) It sprayed a hiss of cold water and always got his attention. But then I had never met the man with the air horn then so worked with what I had to hand.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >