View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emmalouise1508
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2009, 11:14 PM
My dogs sleep with me at night so they hold it for around 8 hours.
Harvey's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2009, 11:20 PM
When I first got Harvey I had to get out of bed as soon as I awoke drag my jeans on ova my Jim Jams and take him for a walk,,,,,,,,,,NOW he can sleep for Engerland................I can step over his snoring form for a couple of hours before he decides its toilet time.....................he has definatly come home xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
Werm hates the rain!
She loves her walks but if its raining I literally have to drag her out with nail marks following us down the pavement!!
She utterly refuses to go out to 'go toilet' if raining and if i pick her up and put her out she just stands there looking at me as if I am totally out of my mind!!
I am just worried as if it rains for days...... how long can a little pup hold it!?
Whats your record!!??
Hi Tabs as Werm is only 5 months old and has very little coat I would treat her gently . Rather than dragging her (which could make her even more reluctant to go out in the rain) I would carry her out and then she will probably be eager to walk back.
I try never to make a puppy wait too long and risk putting it in a position where in might soil in the house when it is being/is newly house trained.

Maybe this is one instance when a waterproof coat on a dog would be a good idea, I don't think hairless little dogs are particularly suited to cold wet British winters.

The other thing to try is to teach Werm to relieve herself on command .
ETA see below for details...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2009, 11:44 PM
post 13 continued..
Teaching Wurm to relieve herself on command..

Have high value treats in your pocket (tiny slivers of cheese or chicken will do) ,
..take Wurm out on her lead preferably to a place where other dogs have been to stimulate her to eliminate,
..when she is in the middle of relieving herself (so that she associates the word with the action) add a prompt word like 'cleangirl' ,
..the second she finishes 'going' give a treat and praise in a happy voice ,
..do this every time she 'goes' and Wurm will soon get the idea that relieving herself brings a reward. You need to keep reinforcing this wanted behaviour until it becomes a habit with Wurm and eventually you will be able to say the word and Wurm will relieve herself on command .

When you are sure Wurm has got the idea you can switch to giving the treats randomly, then not at all, but always give praise.
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Tabs as Werm is only 5 months old and has very little coat I would treat her gently . Rather than dragging her (which could make her even more reluctant to go out in the rain) I would carry her out and then she will probably be eager to walk back.
I try never to make a puppy wait too long and risk putting it in a position where in might soil in the house when it is being/is newly house trained.

Maybe this is one instance when a waterproof coat on a dog would be a good idea, I don't think hairless little dogs are particularly suited to cold wet British winters.

The other thing to try is to teach Werm to relieve herself on command .
ETA see below for details...
Ok thanks for all that.... all advice is helpful!
She has many coats and that makes no difference... and I have carried her out and boy did she walk home- fast and very non interested in stopping for a pee!!
She is trained to ''go toilet'' and will quite happily go on command- when it is not raining!! The thing is not that she is bad a going out or ever messes in the house- she is excellent for such a young puppy at home, but that when its raining she seems quite happy not to go!! she can hold it for ages and thb, i guess this is not really a problem as long as she is happy!! I was just interested to see if anyone else's dogs were as rain phobic as mine?!!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Mine aren't rain phobic except my last bitch & she could go 16 hours before dashing out & going, but I did have a dog who would only pee in grass who went from 5 in the morning when we got on the coach for a show in London rill 9 that night when we stopped at the services on the way back. He went for so long, when he found a bit of grass, that when he had finished the comfort stop was over & we had to get back on the coach without ny comfort needs being sorted.
I had a bitch who would only deficate in her own garden & when we went to Scotland on holiday she went 2 & a half days before giving in & going.
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Mine aren't rain phobic except my last bitch & she could go 16 hours before dashing out & going, but I did have a dog who would only pee in grass who went from 5 in the morning when we got on the coach for a show in London rill 9 that night when we stopped at the services on the way back. He went for so long, when he found a bit of grass, that when he had finished the comfort stop was over & we had to get back on the coach without ny comfort needs being sorted.
I had a bitch who would only deficate in her own garden & when we went to Scotland on holiday she went 2 & a half days before giving in & going.
two and a half days is very impressive!!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
Oh we tried that!! not happening!!
Keep on walking.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I hold an umbrella over my small dog if it's raining heavily.
I let him out at 11 at night and sometimes he doesn't get up til 11 the next day!
Alison
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Keep on walking.
There is no need to be rude!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >