Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 06:23 PM

Sunburn Remedies

Ok I've been completely stupid and got myself majorly burnt!

I was out cleaning my car the other day and didn't even think to put any suncream on - stupid I know! I always put suncream on as I'm quite fair skinned and tend to burn easily but I just had a complete mind blank.

Anyway the result is very red and extremely sore shoulders and back - to the point where I could hardly sleep last night as I was in agony every time I moved, and I'm unable to wear any normal T-Shirts that cover my back

I've been using a garnier after sun spray but was wondering is there anything else that anyone has found to be good at relieving sunburn?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Anything with Aloe Vera or Tee Tree Oil will take the heat out. Also vinegar works well. 1 cup of white vinegar in a cool bath will help loads. You'll smell like a chip shop for a bit but it does work.

Here's a good web-site. A lot of choices here that you will already have in the house.

http://www.skinhelp.co.uk/OnTheSpotR...orSunburn.html
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks Jackie - I think I have some aloe vera gel somewhere, going to dig that out!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Thanks Jackie - I think I have some aloe vera gel somewhere, going to dig that out!
Yep, that will definitely do the trick
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2008, 06:50 PM
you cant go wrong with aloe vera - if you have the plant just cut a leaf and slice in half and rub on the sunburn.

Holland and Barrett sell a tube of Aloe Vera Gel which is great for soothing (can be a bit sticky tho')

Apparently natural yogurt helps (applied on the burn as opposed to eating it!)
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 07:13 PM
natural yogurt ...........apply on the burn it takes the sting out works fast smells a bit when its dry but its the best thing
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
natural yogurt ...........apply on the burn it takes the sting out works fast smells a bit when its dry but its the best thing
Or even milk dabbed on with cotton wool. It takes the heat out and the greasiness of the milk helps to stop the skin drying out.
By the same token Vaseline will help. Skin that is dry "pulls" and makes the soreness worse. Vaseline will keep it supple and it is very soothing.
(very mucky though, unless you walk about topless all day!)
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone, am going to have a cool bath soon and may try some of the ideas on that website that Jackie posted - the natural yoghurt sounds like a good idea too.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Thanks for the ideas everyone, am going to have a cool bath soon and may try some of the ideas on that website that Jackie posted - the natural yoghurt sounds like a good idea too.
its the only instant remedy have used it and I can recommend it
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 07:41 PM
My son had that happen...so bad we had to take him to hospital as it blistered.

They covered it all with lint smoothered in vaseline We just kept re-apply daily, soon cleared up
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >