Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2004, 04:29 PM

Cows

Mine and scrumps fave walking place, deer park, has been invaded by cows!

I was almost at the exit when i spotted them, and they started to follow me!

Im too scared to walk through there now as i think the cows will stampeed , will they?
they dont have young.

Thanks
Gems
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2004, 05:21 PM
That happened to us once whilst on a walk with friends and the dogs
I was really frightened cos they all ran over to us - i thought cows were meant to be scaredy cats
Robert
Dogsey Senior

02-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Hi Gems.

I don't think they would stampede, but having a dog with you can be a problem some times, cows see dogs as a threat, so its better to be safe then sorry and avoid them if you can.
The advice I was given by a farmer here, was if the cows did become agressive and your dog was on a lead, let the dog off the lead, because it can out run cows and they're more interested in what the dog is doing then you.

I never have any problems with Heidi because she doesn't like the dogs with long tails and horns, so while I walk throught them, she takes a long detour round them, like 3 fields around away around them............so much for protecting her master
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2004, 07:28 PM
thanks Robert, i will aviod them, its such a nuisence!
They are quite scary things cows, sound very unpredictable.

I thought the same clarence!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

02-06-2004, 10:11 PM
I've heard that a farmer can LEGALLY shoot your dog if he thinks it is 'distressing' his stock... I'd just stay away, or run!
liberty
Dogsey Senior

03-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Cows are generally curious by nature, so they'll come and check you out, if they're then 'spooked' or surprised, by you or your dog, then they will PANIC, so take are, and as mentioned, if your dog is off a lead, they can outrun cattle..generally.

libs ...Cow whisperer
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2004, 12:13 AM
There are cows wandering freely at will around Sutton Park in the West Mids and boy are they big - kids sometimes tease them but not for long

Karen
moo
Dogsey Senior

03-06-2004, 03:54 PM
when i was little my older brother and his mates used to go 'cow tipping' cos cows stand up sleeping they used to sneek up on them and push them over, i thought it was funny at the time (being so young and all) but now even though i still giggle about it, it was kind of cruel.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2004, 04:50 PM
I remember when I was about 10, and I was allowed to take our family BC out for walks by myself. One of the routes I was allowed to use passed a large-ish farm, with a lot of cattle. This was never a problem, unless the cows were being driven in for milking, when they'd be spread out right across the road. Stampede? No! - but I would get both arms filled by a 10-year-old Border Collie, jumping up to look for protection!

Now I live in a cottage with about 20 stirks (young bulls) about 15 feet from my bathroom window! They are very curious about the dogs and will come and line the fence to stare at them, even following along the road, on their side of the fence.

As I knew an untrained BC (I mean "not trained to work stock"), could cause havoc, I taught Kali that other animals round here were "Not your business!". Occasionally, he'll bark at them, but that's all. Snorri-dog is frightened of just about anything thay moves; he barks at them, but won't get even close!

It's slightly different here, though, because the cattle fields here are always that, and not parks being used differently for the summer, but I would tend to avoid these places while animals are about, because then you can never be accused of having your dog uncontrolled around them, even totally wrongly! Bit of a b*gg*r if you have nowhere else to go, though

Snorri
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Cows are extremley nosey - I once had one in my living room
if they decide to get inquisitive though they are quite scarey and can run surprisingly fast

As for the farmer shooting your dog -yes he's entitled to if it is causing distress or worry to his livestock
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >