Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Oooh lots of questions

Right I'll take it from the top

3 tablespoons it is then

I'll have to give you the precise days tonight, as my diary is at home. But I believe she's had beef for 4 days (and in those 4 days, she's had a softish poo in the morning).

I dont really have much more to try when I've tried the turkey and venison (and the venison is only 10% bones - I can order the bones in 2 months time, its the special order I make to Sweden, so only every 2 months.. My friend's dog vomits on the venison bones, so havent been wanting to try those)
We can't really get venison, deer and all that here in Denmark (Well probablely if you know a hunter.. but I dont)

The rabbit is too big for her to have. Its about 2 kg.. and she only has about 500-550 grams a day... So would be a bit hard to split up with the skin on.. And I have to drive a bit to get them, so it wont be an everyday food.. its about £7.5 for one rabbit

Well I need to try canned tuna and mackarel, but I know that they can give her a bit of a soft tummy... From when she had it before.. Not much else I can think of, that we need to try (that we can get anyway). I'm getting some turkey necks on thursday, when I go pick up my order from Sweden. We haven't tried those before. Last time Luna had turkey (before this morning) she wouldnt eat it.. But she was having a false pregnancy at the time, so I think that was why..

I can take some pics of the turkey thighs.. But the one she had this morning was about 300-350 gram - some of those I bought are huge though and weighs about 750-800 grams a piece.. So really over 2 meals in one..with a lot of meat..

I had her on chicken for over a month, as I wanted to have her tummy in order before trying something new, but as the tummy kept getting runny, I decided to move on...

I wont be feeding only chicken for that long a period again.. I'm thinking of 2 or 3 times a week tops. And I will start to vary it when we've gotten through the "test" stage..

I think I can.. we use the same oats for porridge and breakfast (with cold milk on - like cereal sp?)

Think I got it all covered

Will take some pics of the turkey thighs (big and small - ooh these were actually called "under"thighs, btw) and post for you
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm wondering about the milk Luna has on her oats...Do you know if the milk causes any upset tummies she has because of most adult dogs being lactose intolerant??...It's probably something you have already thought of though
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Hiya B/L, didn`t know she`d had only chicken for that long think it may have been a mistake, never mind lets see we can get her right now

What I`d do is give her something for only 2 days & if alls well get her on something else & keep varying it like that.
If you cut the rabbit in 4 you could give freeze it & feed it it over several days, but if thats too difficult not to worry, same about the venison
I`m not sure your reasoning for testing her, I just switched my lot overnight with no probs but I know some dogs not always so tolerant of a quick change but think by now you should have made the transition as its been a few mths..... I think

Porridge oats, the latin name is Avena Sativa or just Avena & what I do is put them thru the processor to make them like a flour, it saves cooking them & trying to cool them down, then add them to goats milk but you use water to make it a sludge & add a tsp of honey over it, this can aslo be added to her veg/fruit puree. Yes they are like a cereal, people have them cooked & eat them hot with milk & honey/sugar. The Scots have them in haggis with meat n stuff
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Mys I thought B/L was talking about porridge for herself
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi Christine

Initially (back in september) we also just jumped in.. And had no problems..

The problems started when I suddenly lost an opportunity for the liver/heart mix she had been having (a friend had a deal with a supermarket, but all of a sudden it wasnt working anymore) so I had to make my own mix.. And I decided instead of one meal I would give her a bit every day.. I think that's what started all this..

I could cut the rabbit up in 4, but isnt that a bit difficult, whit fur on?? I donno, havent tried

The oats with milk were for me, Mys

Oh and btw... Turkey thigh this morning gave her some softish and hard poo this afternoon I'm still not sure, if the food takes 12 or 24 hours to pass.. (she only poops morning and afternoon)

I dont understand Should I still give her turkey again tomorrow morning?

Here's a few pics of the thighs:

This is like the one she had this morning.. This one weighs 356 grams.

And here is the other one.. It weighs about 800 grams:

Christine
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Hiya B/L

Yep big turkeys same as here The one in the top pic is called a drumstick & the bottom pic is the thigh. Together make legs hehe

Yes give her the turkey tonight & see how she goes, do you give her eggs & how often, have you tried her with lamb yet?

Yep probably will be a bit tough cutting the rabbit up into 4, never mind just a thought

I`d say the foods thru in 12hrs, is with mine but different dogs digest at different rates maybe.

Try her with a cup (american measure) of porridge made with water & add the yoghurt & honey if you have any, tomorrow with her brekkie
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Do you feed RMB in the evening?

I feed RMB in the morning and "meat", kelp/alfalfa mix in the evening.

Okay, well then it was a drumstick she had this morning Which gave her a bit of soft poo this afternoon

I havent given her eggs or veggies yet.. Well since we started this tryout anyway.. Before that I gave her an egg 2 times a week.

Yes I've tried lamb ribbs wednesday, thursday and friday last week. If I can go by the "afternoon poop" everything went fine.. She had soft in the morning, but I can see I gave her minced beef at dinner those days, so that makes sense.. It seems its the minced beef causing the upset in the tummy.. That's good to know.. Then we will not feed that too often. Afterall that's why I'm doing this one thing at a time

So I'm going to try the oatmealmush in the morning before I give her the turkey.. And I do have honey

She's having one of the big ones, but I'm going to cut of a lot of the meat I think.. Cos she isnt having 800 grams!!! I wish I had a knife that could cut it in half...

Of course she isnt having breakfast on sundays, as we have dogtraining at 9 am (leave home at 8 am as we are walking there), so no time for breakkie.. but 800 grams in one day is still a whole lot!!!! Isnt it???
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Hiya J sometimes I feed rmb`s in the morning sometimes in the eveing, no set routine with that What they never get is a meat only meal in the mornings. Mornings (round about 12-1pm really) I go with a meal of porridge made with goats milk & added fruit/veg/eggs/herbs/honey couple times a wk other days a pigs trotter, other days lamb/pork ribs some days just big marrow bones. Night times is meat only or meat with 1 quail or 2/3 quails dependant on weight or just fresh fish ie sardines/trout. Also depends how much meat is on the ribs, lamb ones are very meaty, pork/beef not so meaty. Also I never give them mince, can`t see whats in the mince & I like them to use their teeth on chunks of meat

Yep 800gms is too much, I use a little axe to whack mine with

Think its Saturdat tomorrow.....well will be in Spain anyway
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 08:29 PM
He he yes its saturday tomoz in Denmark aswell

I think I was thinking way ahead of what I wrote.. I tend to do that, sorry What I meant was.. if I fed her that entire thigh, it could count for the breakkie she wont be having on sunday.. But I still think its too much to give her 800 grams in one day..

I think I have a saw.. hmm not for meat use, but hey, may be worth a try

Ah well that would confuse me To feed that much different from day to day.. I would love to feed at different times of day, but I work monday to friday, so dont have much time in the morning..
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Hah so we`re on the same planet then Saturday in a few hrs

Yep 800 is too much in 1 day but agree with theory she`ll get no brecky the next day, remember its balance & variety over time so use the way you feed her to suit you

Have a saw as well but don`t like it prefer this small axe thing as its just a couple of whacks & goes thru bone in a few goes but try what you`ve got & see if it works for you

Well I have 2 dog fridges & 2 dog freezers but I`ve got 10 dogs to feed need to buy in bulk for best deals & also need to think ahead re taking stuff out of freezer etc. Thats why sometimes it goes pear shaped I forget to take it out of freezer or somethings on offer like fish so have too much out etc etc so can end up with quite a mix in frdge But no bad thing cos variety`s the key

A thought here J, if you`re rushed in the mornings why not give her the meat meal for brecky, its quick to give, can be prepared night before & gets demolished in super quick time then she settles down to sleep till you come home?

Don`t worry too much bout her tum, give it time, long as its not d/rear it should settle down
Page 4 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »