Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2016, 07:45 AM

Daily Thread. Thursday, 1st December

Good morning everyone, only three weeks to winter solstice. yeh. Cannot stand these dark mornings and evenings.

Lyn, your poor Mark how much more bad luck can a chap suffer. Hope he gets it sorted as cheaply as possible.

June, hope your back is improving, think you have been overdoing things lately. Are Horatio's pups now overdue?

Have a good day everyone, Griff, hope you are ok, take care all, stay warm and dry and above al safe and well. God bless.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Morning Moyra and all who follow.
Very cold here again today. We are looking forward to the 21st to Moyra. Mum and dads wedding anniversary.

Harvey pretty bad luck that both should go if that is the problem surely an RAC man can't be wrong can he ? Then again.
Plan today is to get the new battery fit it and see what happens. I have been in touch with the garage we use and got a quote for a tow if needed and he will ring back with a price (rough) for new starter motor supplied and fitted. He has said though obviously they would need to check themselves that it is the starter motor that is the problem.
I hope it isn't to expensive and he will accept our help to gt it fixed as it is so bloomin cold for him to be doing it himself.
The best scenario would be fit the new battery it leaps into life and no more needs doing.
I would just like some time now not having to worry about people worrying, no researching stuff and as much as possible going normally.

Mandy hope you are feeling brighter today.
June hpe your back is easing and bet you're getting excited about the new puppies and not the work.

Hope everyone is well and all four legged friends too.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2016, 08:23 AM
Morning all. Just to add to the mix Lynn my daughters car problem was the fuel pump. Off for the first walk of the day. Later than usual as it is very cold here and don't want Tyto to get chilled. Have a good day peeps.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2016, 08:29 AM
Good morning everyone

Don't want to worry you Lynn but last nights Watchdog had the RAC making people buy new batteries when theirs were totally ok so get that checked too before he buys a new one. Hope your lovely garage can do everything needed and at a good price.

Enjoy your walk Brenda

Good morning Moyra

Another cold and frosty morning. Have put the bedding on the line but it is a little stiff at the moment. Still the sun will soon be out. Well must get her ladyship out but like Brenda have left it a little later today.

Have a good day and stay safe.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Oh my word brenda and Sue.
He wouldn't of made any money out of Mark and didn't give any specific garage to get it fixed just a guide price.
If I had my way I would pay the tow £50 + vat and let them take a look but I know he will more than likely not take my advice.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Couple of points about car batteries. If you have a car with a stop/start facility, in other words one that saves fuel by cutting out whilst stationary, then you need a different type of battery called an AGM battery

Link
http://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technica...ement-warning/

Because it is different you will also think about getting the right battery charger for it as well

link ( I have this one)

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/pro...hbAaAn3u8P8HAQ

So do check which battery is correct for your vehicle

So what is the difference? you won't really know until the battery dies. An AGM battery dies instantly whereas a "normal" battery gets slowly worse until useless.

As for starter motors you will also need a different one from normal if your car has stop/start. You will need a starter designed for stop/start . This is a starter that can handle more starts without wearing out.

So don't be caught out with being sold the wrong battery or starter motor
Additional link
http://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technica...efb-explained/
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Lynn, exactly the self same thing Sue has said is in the papers this morning and I immediately thought of you. How about mending the car as his Christmas present.
Very mild here this morning, meeting friend at about 1.30 and getting girls out for a run on the football field first.
Pups are due 2 December Moyra, she is as!eep this morning and will not be rushed, you have to wait for quality apparently
Yeah looking forward to pups without the work involved
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-12-2016, 10:18 AM
Not sure that it has a stop start facility on it Barry. It's an old 2002 astravan.
So apart from the on and off ignition and brake doubt it has anything fancier.
Had the quote from the local garage just under £250 with tow but not battery I think that's good and worth them doing the battery as well. He is deliberating and driving me mad to be honest.
They can probably do it tomorrow and if he takes to long he will lose the slot. They will of course check it is the starter motor, think that's worrying him it might not be that and they might find other things wrong. Can't convince him just yet to let it go there and see if it can be sorted.
At the moment it's rendered useless anyway.

Saw a heron in a field this morning and the river has been frozen in places for most of the week.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Had a long walk this morning. It's about an hour via the forbidden land. Usually it is without incident except that time when I stepped in a hole and cracked a rib or maybe a couple..............

This morning I had an interesting encounter. A lady with her dog on a lead.

"Put your dog on a lead" she said.
"Why?"
"My dog is viscious."
"So you want me to constrain my dog because your's has a problem?"

Max and that "viscious" dog did the dog meet dog thing.
Then Max and I just strolled on. There were no issues. No lead required.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Morning all.

Watching homes under the hammer while waiting for the car to defreeze, lovely couple just brought a old bungalow because it had a massive garden for the dog "Bob" (not as bad as yesterday)
Off out to Iceland, Farm shop and the bank. No idea what for dinner tonight fish mash and peas with parsley sauce tomorrow. Work tonight, Cassie chewing her new rope chew no more nylabones for her since the cracked tooth issue not taking any risks she really gives them some welly (SBT don't you know) wrote some Christmas cards yesterday more to do but made a start for those needing posting.; especially abroad.

Spoke to my sister and brother yesterday and we all agree we are planning on looking forward to Christmas a great time of year in the family but last years subdued with Dad's funeral being Christmas time. Dad always adored and made Christmas special so we plan on doing the same....my main priority is Mom; and I am taking her away for a couple nights Twixmas; down to Sidmouth and then on to Bournmouth/Weymouth (visit my cousin and family for brunch) eldest niece and boyfriend (hopefully fiance SOON) coming to house and Cassie sit.

Right have to get a move on and get Cassie round the block out before we go out.

Lynn hope you get the car sorted your life is an episode of hurdles to clamber over.
Moyra How is you fence issue coming? and how is your general health?
Sue I considered the bedding today but in and out so waiting till Monday when I am on holiday. Hopefully not freezing then fingers crossed.
Besoeker Was the other dog on lead what a strange request if not.....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >