View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't get very exercised about this. I eat out quite a lot and cannot be in the kitchen double washing every salad item. I eat fruit from the trees too walking along the street.

Of the zillions of bacteria around only very few are harmful ones.

I keep hand sanitizer in my car and a tiny one in my bag for if and when I handle mangy looking strays. And if I've been picking other people's litter up and it looks suspect!

My kids were brought up down on the river every weekend and holiday and sometimes didn't 'wash properly' for days on end (they reckoned if they've been in the Thames they were clean!) And we camped a lot in the UK and abroad. I do not remember any of them being plagued with stomach ills back then. Worst they'd get was impetigo from infected gnat or horsefly bite but it was soon cleared up with Fucidin on our return home.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I do wash salad and vegetables but not fruit, I once had a caterpillar in my lettuce so now wash it to make sure. Always washed vegetables. Sometimes I will grow my own, I need to be really fussy about washing that because of the amount of slugs about, YUK, can't bare slugs.

Food, dishes, cutlery and the work surfaces were I am working need to be clean, anything goes after that. Like Catrin my children rarely got tummy bugs unlike the other children in school. I did insist on my sons washing their hands before eating, they were usually covered in mud, not nice to see when you are eating.
I am always delighted to find wildlife in vegetables etc it is a sign they are not covered in pesticides and organic vegetables often have some on them.
They are easily removed with a little salt water.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I am always delighted to find wildlife in vegetables etc it is a sign they are not covered in pesticides and organic vegetables often have some on them.
They are easily removed with a little salt water.
That's what I used to do with all the blackberries I picked when out - dump them in salted water and all the little wormy things and bugs float to the top!

Unless of course nobody likes you - then you have to eat the worms lol!
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2014, 01:10 PM
All those bugs and things make me vomit and I can't eat it.
robert11
New Member!
Male 

07-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Best to thoroughly wash everything irrespective it's been pre-washed - even if only for some peace-of-mind.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I rarely eat salad. I also don't like those prepared salads. I like broccoli florets, celery, onion, sliced carrots.. and other things that are often hard to find in prepared salads. So I just buy what I like and make the salad myself. Saves me the trouble of having to buy tons of extra stuff anyway.

I never wash fruit and I have been known to even pick things up I dropped and blow/wipe/rinse them off and eat them I'm very country and walk outside with no shoes, let dogs lie in the bed, eat fruit right off bushes/trees... and I just don't think that dirt can truly hurt you.

I'm more concerned about the random crap they put in the food... such as meats etc. than some dirt being left on a piece of lettuce. I don't get stomach bugs often either... perhaps once every two years max. Not even that probably.

I was sickly when I was younger, and all those repeated disease have truly strengthened me, I'm rarely sick these days. So I guess I think I'm superwoman or something.

P.S. what is marmite?

yeast extract. known in some countries a vegemite.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Even if it says pre-washed maybe wise to wash it. I do sometimes buy them. Hoping to grow our own this year though.
And t think they have banned marmite as they are not sure of the ingredients.
plenty on the shelves here..
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 10:55 AM
well, i eat very little raw fruit and veg as the m.e. limits my range of food.

certainly never pre prepared stuff.

reading of washing lettuce reminds me of when i was small and we used to visit an old auntie and uncle. my mother would insist on helping to prepare tea and always made sure she washed the lettuce, which was always webbs, as auntie's eyesight was poor and it would be crawling with greenfly
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

12-05-2014, 11:03 AM
I eat loads of salad and fruit and veg although I have never bought the prepared salad packs because they always seem to contain rocket which I can't stand but I'm terrible for never washing anything I discard the outer leaves of lettuce and cabbage etc and then eat the rest, chop the end off celery etc. Never wash fruit as I usually eat it on the hoof. As kids we used to eat blackberries straight off the bush and apples etc off the tree. I never have upset tummy either and I have total peace of mind. I think we worry too much about germs.
Meg
Supervisor

12-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I eat loads of salad and fruit and veg although I have never bought the prepared salad packs because they always seem to contain rocket which I can't stand but I'm terrible for never washing anything I discard the outer leaves of lettuce and cabbage etc and then eat the rest, chop the end off celery etc. Never wash fruit as I usually eat it on the hoof. As kids we used to eat blackberries straight off the bush and apples etc off the tree. I never have upset tummy either and I have total peace of mind. I think we worry too much about germs.
I am glad its not just me, I can't stand Rocket either and don't understand the attraction.
Every time I go out for a meal I seem to be given plates of the stuff .

I would rather have lots of watercress instead which I wash very well ...
I have discovered watercress tastes great dressed with soy sauce so if I am doing a stir fry I have loads of it on the side.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >