register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

08-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Ok I`m rubbish at % but 100gms is approx 4 ounces, multply that by 7 = 28 ounces = 1lb 12 ounces...for a week

sorry pressed send before I finished

Thats sounds way too much to me Mys. Given that my dogs are between 29kg-33kg so lighter than yours If I had to feed liver seperate I`d give only maybe 8-10 ounces a week.

Look at it this way, what does a chickens liver weigh, or a rabbits or a quails or even mice/rats. Now how many of those animals would they eat in a week, would it work out at 1lb 12oz??

Remember feeding is not an exact science, can never be
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Christine
Look at it this way, what does a chickens liver weigh, or a rabbits or a quails or even mice/rats. Now how many of those animals would they eat in a week, would it work out at 1lb 12oz??
but large dogs in the wild or wolves wouldn't mostly be eating mice and rats more like animals the size of deer with much bigger livers etc

lol...

I'll have to see how it goes...The tell tale poop will tell me what I need to adjust I bet!!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I would like to feed whole prey, but I cant.. Firstly cos that would be way too much for Luna, and secondly cos I cant get them.. Yes rabbits I can get whole (I've just found out) with fur and all.. But a rabbit weighing 2 kg are about 6 days breakfast (rmb), so I would have to split that up.. And I believe that the things I can get here, reminding me of quails (poussin) dont have offal in them.

So I would prob just add a bit of offal 3 times a week. I'm just afraid to give her too little...

And yes the % are what I "hang on to".. My security blanket if you will.

Okay, I'm gonna relax now And feed a couple of ounces of liver 3 times a week

Oh btw, do you know if throat and lungs are considered offal or meat? I have a mix of throat and lung here, that I can get very cheap..
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2006, 05:57 PM
well I just visited the britbarf site and looked back on some old messages and a valid point was made, saying that it depends on what variety of offal you have available to feed, if it is just mainly liver 10% of the overall diet would be way to much of course, but if you feed liver, kidney, brains etc that may be ok.

I think I will cut the amount down (when we finally do start!!) and see how they go
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
J, just a thought, when you have a whole animal you can feed like the rabbit...perhaps you could feed it as the rmb PLUS meat part of the diet which would make up most of her daily intake??...a whole rabbit would be 'whole prey' wouldn't it. That may make it easier for you to feed rather than trying to cut it up...lol Same with whole chicken
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Mys, it would still be way too much.. Luna is only getting about 540 grams of food a day (without the offal), so a rabbit of 2 kg's would still be 4 days.. and a whole chicken would also be about 2 or 3 days food intake
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Mys, it would still be way too much.. Luna is only getting about 540 grams of food a day (without the offal), so a rabbit of 2 kg's would still be 4 days.. and a whole chicken would also be about 2 or 3 days food intake
we need to swap rabbit...lol...the only ones i can are alot smaller then that...the ones you can get would suit my dogs more! 2kg is quite a big rabbit isn't it?...although the ones i can get will be minus the fur and head I think, which may make a difference....
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2006, 06:47 PM
I've found a woman who breed rabbits. There are 1 kg and 2 kg. Costing £5 and £7,5.

I'm actually calling her and "book" the rabbits, so they will be all new butchered ´

I haven't got any money this month so it wont be untill the 1. of april. I'm bringing some for my friend aswell, and for doing that, she'll skin them for me
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Sounds good to me J...

Shame they are expensive isn't it...I think the rabbits I can get are I'm told about 1 1/4lb which I guess is a between 0.5kg to a bit under 1kg for £1.75 which is still expensive for us but I will probably give them maybe a few times a month is all. But they will make a nice treat wont they
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah it wont be a food she'll get several times a week

I'm going to be trying chicken necks in the morning, so I'm gonna be pretty nervous for the result in the afternoon
Page 13 of 18 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »