Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Broken Tooth

I've noticed my new girl Darcey seems to have a broken canine tooth on her lower jaw.
It doesn't seem to hurt her (she's a bit of a wriggle bum and I can't get a great look at it) and it doesn't stop her from eating or chewing things up, but are dogs with broken teeth likely to suffer any issues from it?

I'll get my vet to look at it when I next take her in, but so far I've seen no issues with it.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2012, 08:23 PM
My Pitt Bull back in the states years ago broke his canine tooth, I freaked out and took him straight to the vets, as he was around 5-6 months we thought we should wait to make sure it wasn't his baby tooth (which it ended up being) but the vet said if it wasn't that he could put a crown on it, he gave me the price list silver was cheapest, gold next and white was the most expensive, I had decided at that point if it didn't bother him I would leave it, or save up for the white one, the last thing I wanted was for the gang kids seeing my dog with a grill and breaking their poor fighting pitts teeth so they could get them flashy gold teeth!

Hope she is okay!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 08:58 PM
She seems fine with it and it certainly isn't stopping her chewing things up (she already wrecked a few toys, chewed up blanket and the seat belts in the car )
I assume it either happened when she was a stray in Ireland or at her last home.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 08:15 AM
My last GSP had a few teeth like this. I think they`d just worn down because of his habit of chewing stones when bored. (He stopped this when we got him used to toys)
The vet looked at them and said the nerve was exposed but had died so he didn`t feel anything in them. They never bothered him.