Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 09:47 PM

Marking in the house!

Arrow is becoming a grown up doggy now Two weeks ago he cocked his leg for the first time, and he has since starting marking wherever another dog pees... he will stand with his nose at Jake's bum until he finished peeing, and then Arrow hops forward and marks It is all very exciting

However, with this new leg cocking and marking, another behaviour has also come. Arrow is now marking in peoples houses! He hasn't done it in mine, but he did it in OHs house twice in the one night. Once in the kitchen, and once in the living room. He had come in from outside two minutes earlier when he did the first one... it was a seriously teeny trickle, but a trickle all the same.

Then, today he did it in the house of the dog I walk Again, it was a little trickle...

I don't want this to continue, and I need him to go to other houses without him peeing! So, does anyone have any tips on how I could sort this?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Hmm, one advantage of Jack not cocking his leg! I always thought that if he did start doing this, I would have him castrated.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 07:31 AM
He is groing up Both of mine went through a phase of marking in other peoples houses if they owned a dog. Fortunately it did stop but shortly after it started (they were about 14 months then) I spoke to the vet and decided to have them both 'chemically castrated with the implant between their shoulder blades. The 'marking' stopped about 4 weeks later. It only ever happened if they were in a house where a bitch had been or lived.

Before I use to go to these houses I would make sure my tow had been for a long walk to empty their bladders - that made no difference at all! Hopefully someone with intact dogs will give you an idea how to stop it - it drove me mad ..... not to mention how the owners of the house felt
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 08:01 AM
No advice sorry my male is castrated
Hope you can resolve it
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Oh dear norty boy
I cant comment too much cos I dont take Mia into P@H as she cocked her leg up a giant bag of dog food and peed up it

I would imagine just now it would be easier to keep him onlead in different houses, or at least dont let him out of sight - treat him like he is untoilet trained and get him out if he starts to look like he is going to mark something

Ben bearly marks outside let alone inside - Im lucky, he is neutered tho
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 09:11 AM
All mine have been likely to mark in a new place, whether neutered or intact. I've always done the "ahhhhh!" (more in panic than intentionally ) and rushed them outside. It's been a case of keeping an eagle eye on them, giving them no freedom at all and back to basics with house training for a few days. I assume these are places Arrow has been before but I'd do the same thing to be honest.

I've managed to have all mine clean in places they go to regularly but never managed to get them to generalise that ALL indoor places are off limits for marking or toileting.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Hmm, one advantage of Jack not cocking his leg! I always thought that if he did start doing this, I would have him castrated.
Why? This dog is a BABY! He is just growing up. Why is the first thing people suggest cutting this out??

LB.
I would suggest you keep him with you while in peoples homes, so you can keep an eye on him. If you see him go to do it, say something like "AH AH" in a firm voice, then call him to you and praise him. One of mine did that as a youngster, he was fine when he got to about 10/11mths and never did it again. Kept his nuts too!!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why? This dog is a BABY! He is just growing up. Why is the first thing people suggest cutting this out??
Castration won't necessarily stop marking anyway. My neutered boys have marked as much as my intact ones.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 01:34 PM
I won't be neutering him... not yet at least, don't know if/when I will but I will be waiting until he is at least 2. Jake was neutered young (the rescue wanted that) and he has only ever marked in a house once... and that was because the elderly dog who lived in the house peed right in front of him! This dog peed in the house A LOT though because he was so old he just couldn't hold it, so I am surprised Jake didn't mark in other places where the dog had peed. Jake marks LOADS outside of the house, but he doesn't mark in houses... and he has been in a lot of houses that have dogs in them.

One of the times Arrow did it in OHs I wasn't there but OH saw him, and he didn't say/do anything... he was stunned because Arrow hasn't peed in the house for ages. The time in the other house (of the dog I walk, which is Paddy for those who remember him ) he was onlead, and I told him 'ah ah' and gently pulled him away.

And yep, these are places Arrow has been to A LOT... and he has never done this before (the marking, his has peed loads in OHs house when he was younger). In Paddys house, obviously Paddy lives there... but round at OHs the only dogs that are in their house, is my two! So, it isn't even like it is houses that a dog lives in... I don't know if it is just because he has been there lots that he sees these places as 'his' and so is marking them... and he isn't doing it in mine because this is his 'main' home so he is here a lot and his smell will be all over it... if you know what I mean
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
He's a year old on Friday so not really a baby anymore and hasn't marked anywhere yet so his 'bits' are safe for now!

None of my neutered dogs ever marked indoors.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >