stand stay
down
down stay
seek (just getting started)
have treats on paws and not take them utill told
fetch (when she's in the mood)
paw (both)

And that's about it.

How doo you teach them to put their toys in the box?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2004, 09:30 AM
WOW sb, thats impressive!
how do u teach them to distinguish between toys and objects? and how do u teach em to ring bells when they want out?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Wow! Thats a lot of things!!!

I forgot..Teagan can also do finishes.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
how do you teach them to put their toys in the box?
If you have a dog that will retrieve you are halfway there. If you have a dog that knows the name of her toys you are threequarters of the way there.

I started with simple games of fetch while standing close to the toy basket. Throw ball, say "fetch ball" reward the fetch. After a while hold hand, with treat, over the basket. As dog opens mouth for treat & ball is dropped into basket say "good bin/basket/box or whatever you call it & give dog the treat. After many repetitions you can start to gradually move away from the basket one step at a time. Give the command bin/box/basket & point to the receptacle. Reward every successful drop into the basket. Many, many, repetitions later you will be able to either say "ball - basket", or point to the toy and say "basket" and the dog should fetch it & drop it in.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

12-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny
how do u teach them to distinguish between toys and objects? and how do u teach em to ring bells when they want out?
When you are playing with your dog always name the toy you are playing with. For example, if your dog brings her Kong to you for a game you say something like "Kong! Good girl. Kong! Fetch Kong" Keep putting an identifier on the toy. Use the same principle for each toy - ball, ragga, squeaker, ring, etc. Actually it doesn't matter what you call each thing as long as you are always consistent. You can call a Kong a sausage & if you always use this name your dog will associate the Kong with the word sausage

Not quite sure what you mean by "objects"? If you mean how does she find something of mine in a pile of random objects then that is simply scent discrimination. If, for example, I threw a glove that I had been wearing in among other gloves that I had never touched & told her to "find" she would correctly identify my glove by its scent and bring it to me.

Bells. I cannot see my backdoor from the kitchen or living room so needed to teach them to signal that they needed to be let out. I got a string of small brass bells & hung them on the door. As puppies every time that I took them out for toilets I would shake the bells. They learned that the sound of the bells = the door opening. They were very quick to catch on to the fact that if they nosed the bells someone would come running to open the door. One warning if you use this method. Do not use a food reward to teach them to ring, otherwise you will have bells going all day
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

12-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Message from Hannah:

"Mum forgot to metion my most favouritest thing and which, in all modesty, I am rather good at - FRISBEE !! "
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3