View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:35 AM
I would keep Teg away on a, b and c. He doesn't approach strange dogs unless I stand for a chat with their owner so if I saw them call their dog away/put it on a lead I would make Teg walk with me.
This morning just as I got on the park a lady had her afgan on a extender lead and pulled him back to her side as she saw us so I kept Teg on lead until we had passed her (normally he would have been off by then).

With going to training I find things that are second nature to me just haven't occured to people that aren't as into their dogs as us. Especially if they have a friendly dog that wants to make friends with everyone and their dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
With going to training I find things that are second nature to me just haven't occured to people that aren't as into their dogs as us. Especially if they have a friendly dog that wants to make friends with everyone and their dog.
True. A lot of people I meet genuinely think dogs `say hello` by going face to face with their hackles up.
And that dogs, like children, want to play with complete strangers.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
My dog is not very good with other dogs, we usually have our walk about 10pm so we can just enjoy it without any dramas. If we go it to the field that the whole village uses as a dog park i will only go in if nobody else is in there, if somebody comes in i get Phoebe back on her lead, i ask the other person to do the same while i just get out of the field. I either get a straight no - in which i let them know i will not be responsible for my dog hurting theirs if it comes over, or i get " but mines really friendly" i then let them know that phoebe is not and repeat the above or they get there dog on a lead or under control and i leave the field and say thankyou.

Some people do forget that not all dogs are friendly to other dogs
No offense, but I would not listen to someone TELLING me to put my dog on lead. I would find that very rude if my dog was off lead in an area that "the whole village uses as a dog park". If someone kindly asked me to call my dogs away because dog isn't very good with other dogs, I would gladly oblige. If you TOLD me I had to get my dog on a lead or you won't be responsible for any damage your dog does to mine, I'm afraid you wouldn't get a very pleasant response back.

If you take your dog to a field that everyone in the village uses, don't be surprised to see off lead dogs. Your dog has the problem so it is up to you to avoid them, not the other way around.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I endeavour to keep my lot away from other dogs, unless the other dogs are all loose and running around without any indication from the owner it might be a problem.

Thankfully I tend to do most my walking where I never see another soul anyway, so my dogs get free-range most of the time without the worry of bumping into strange dogs.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
No offense, but I would not listen to someone TELLING me to put my dog on lead. I would find that very rude if my dog was off lead in an area that "the whole village uses as a dog park". If someone kindly asked me to call my dogs away because dog isn't very good with other dogs, I would gladly oblige. If you TOLD me I had to get my dog on a lead or you won't be responsible for any damage your dog does to mine, I'm afraid you wouldn't get a very pleasant response back.

If you take your dog to a field that everyone in the village uses, don't be surprised to see off lead dogs. Your dog has the problem so it is up to you to avoid them, not the other way around.
First i don not tell them - i ask them. As for my dog hurting theirs i cant stop their dog coming over aswell as keep my dog under control and their dog is thier responsibility. i do understnad that the way i wrote it sounds abrupt, im not i just didnt explain the conversation very well as i was trying to not ramble on. As for me staying away from other dogs that is what i am trying to do. i only go in the feild if it is empty and if somebody comes in i leave, i just ask that thay keep their dog away while i do so. Maybe you should have read my reply correctly before commenting on it
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2011, 04:47 PM
To me it's simple, if you see someone with their dog on a lead, or they call their dog and put it on the lead, or quickly change direction, then it is obviously for a reason.
Their dog could be dog agressive, people agressive, very nervous, elderly and frail, recovering from illness or injury, it is just good manners to put your own dog/dogs on lead while you pass, unless you're 100% sure you can keep your own dog/dogs away.
Sadly many dog owners were not in the queue when manners were handed out.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Well as you may know Leanne, mine are put on the lead whenever there is a strange dog or are at least under some control; Louie's still learning manners, but he knows where is isn't welcome and was quite rightly told off by another dog the other day when I didn't see the dog or the owner..

Benjie is always on a lead when there are other dogs around for obvious reasons.

And Sadie is good on or offlead..
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Made a point of calling Flynn back and putting him on a lead on our walk today when we had to pass some off lead dogs, the gesture didnt work on this occassion. The bloke completely ignored what i'd done and allowed his young cocker to come bounding over so I explained why i'd put him on lead and all I got was a blank "oh, right" before he walked off.

I would think the message would be even clearer since I only leashed 1 dog and left the other 2...
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Made a point of calling Flynn back and putting him on a lead on our walk today when we had to pass some off lead dogs, the gesture didnt work on this occassion. The bloke completely ignored what i'd done and allowed his young cocker to come bounding over so I explained why i'd put him on lead and all I got was a blank "oh, right" before he walked off.

I would think the message would be even clearer since I only leashed 1 dog and left the other 2...
Perhaps calling out that your dog is NOT friendly may help?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
But I feel that calling out is making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill, maybe it's just my own thoughts on it. I've had people in the past asking me if I can put my dogs on a lead as I pass theirs or calling out to keep my dogs away and my thoughts have gone something along the lines of "keep your hair on, wasnt even going to let them near you anyway" and i've thought they've come across as a bit uptight.

If Flynn was aggressive rather than reactive and he actually wanted to attack dogs then i'd probably feel differently about calling out. I dont know, in some weird way calling out to them seems to be overstating Flynn's problems and making a bigger song and dance than is warranted.

I dont think there is anything to be done TBH, people are dense generally but people on here were telling me to put my dogs on a lead to get the message across and I was just pointing out that it didnt work any better than my other methods!
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >