Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 04:06 PM

The Freedom Project

I've just become a foster carer for the Freedom Project and thought it would be fun to write a blog about my experiences as a foster carer. I won't be giving the dog's real name just to protect it's identity. I hope this blog will encourage more people to become foster carers for the Freedom Project as they are desperate for more volunteers. Click this link to read more about the Freedom Project: http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/wayswehelp/freedom_project/

I had my home visit on Thursday morning with a lovely lady from Leeds Dog's Trust. She was really helpful and I got to ask a lot of questions. We decided that they would home dogs no larger than a collie/springer spaniel with me because I'm only a small person - a Rottie or GSD might be a little too much for me to handle!

I was also told some statistics about domestic violence which I found very shocking. On average it takes 35 seperate occaisions of violence before the woman leaves the abusive partner. The woman returns to the abusive partner on average 12 times and it's only after the twelth time they will leave permanently. The Freedom Project service is also available to men who suffer abuse from female partners and gay men and women.

So now all they have to do is to ring my references and it'll just be a matter of time before I get my first foster dog.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 06:46 PM
That is such a great idea and it should be rolled out across the country.

Well done to you and may you and you foster dog(s) have many happy days together till they can be reunited with their mummies.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-03-2008, 08:34 PM
That is such a great idea and well done for getting involved. The link you provided says:-
"nearly half reported that their pets had been threatened, injured, or *killed* by their partners"
Sadly at least one Dogsey member has experienced this first hand. I will never undestand how killing your spouses pet can bring about any benefit to anyone!!!
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:07 PM
well done you, I am going to look in to it x