Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 09:26 AM

how do you go about gundog training?

hi.

me and the other half are looking into getting a labrador in the next couple of years (after ive finished college) and labradork gave me the name of a really good kennel (thanks) thats duel purpose so i can show the lab as well as work it. im really interested into getting into gundog training, (my aunty used to be a game keeper so worked labs, springers, n GWP) it really interests me but im not sure how you go into it just for fun? I would love to train it to retrieve the dummies and things but dont thing i would ever enter it in competition. although this sounds eqaully interesting. if so how do you enter field trials? and how do they work? sorry for rambling a bit im just curious
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Find a good gundog trainer, or just someone that you know that works labs, that can help you out!!

I'm currently retraining my 18 month old lab, as he is trained to stop on the whistle and recall, but I have a different whistle pitch etc, and I am finding it really easy, so I would imagine with a pup, it would be even easier!

If you don't want to trial the dog, then why not look into taking it beating at local shoots!?

I'm not really sure how trialling works, or how a dog is trained differently for trialling, compared with out in the field, will be interesting to see if anyone else can enlighten me!!

x
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 10:48 AM
yeah i know its all a bit of a muddle at the minute but i think its something i would look into, also after college i will definately have the time judging the current climate job wise would be iteresting if anyone does it on here and could enlighten me....
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 11:25 AM
if you want i can send you the name of a gundog trainer in cheshire, who i would recommend, i actually used to travel from Yorkshire for one to one lessons with him, because he only uses positive methods, he would probably also be able to put you in touch with shoots looking for beaters in the area
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
if you want i can send you the name of a gundog trainer in cheshire, who i would recommend, i actually used to travel from Yorkshire for one to one lessons with him, because he only uses positive methods, he would probably also be able to put you in touch with shoots looking for beaters in the area
o yeah that would be great like i said it wont be for a couple of years but i can keep the name handy and look into it, cheers.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
If you were to start beating on a shoot now, even if it's just one day a week, then you will get to know the ground, then you won't be struggling to find your way, and keep an eye on your dog.

I'm having to beat here without a dog at the moment, because I don't know the ground and the drives, and I would more than likely lose one of the dogs!!

x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Field trials are a totally different ball game to working tests. With working tests, the emphasis is on having fun and they are generally done using dummies and not cold game. They usually compromise of retrieves on land and in water, some marked (seen) retrieves and some blinds (unseen). Anyone can enter working tests and there are different levels of competition depending on your level of experience....novice, open, etc.

Field trials are affectively a full working days shoot. 99% of pet dog owners don't aim for field trials as they are very competitive and expensive to enter. I believe it is very hard to get a run in a field trial at all, never mind actually getting a dog up to the level of training required for one.

Your best bet when the time comes is to join some local gundog training classes and go from there. Then when your dog is at a reasonable standard, you may get invited to join a shoot. It obviously takes a lot of patience and hard work to get to that point, though!