register for free

Dog News

The dog that killed the baby girl in Daventry confirmed as illegal American pit bull

...has received 33 comments (page 3)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Indeed you aren't likely to find many people producing banned dogs out of philanthropy.

Mr.Bulldog
As far as I know, the DDA bans the breeding of dogs that are on the banned list.

You breed American Bulldogs which, although not recognised by the KC, are not on the DDA banned list.

The problem arises when "type" ie looks, decides whether a dog is a banned Pitbull or not.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-10-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm not outraged and I haven't taken anything personally, I just said I dont think the KC dictate BSL.
Its interesting you mention pitbulls and the middle class, a friend of mine once talked to me about BSL being as much about classism as breedism, legislating against the plebs and their nasty aggressive curs and whatnot. I can see where she was coming from and she may indeed have a point, but again what does it have to do with the KC and whether or not the breed is recognised?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-10-2014, 12:45 PM
And yet I can't help seeing snobbery and the hand of the kennel club in all of this
I know the KC gets blamed for a lot of things regarding dogs, but suggesting they had a hand in the banning of the pit bull /type is one of the most out there yet !!

I haven't checked but I would say with some confidence that pitbulls aren't KC registered, but I understand that Rottwellers are and yet they are responsible for a handful of human deaths as are bull mastiffs (another KC registered breed.
I would have to check but I think the American pitbull terrier is a registered (KC) breed in its country of origin, to gain UK CK registration a breed has to adhere to a criteria, i.e.... numbers , they are shown on the import register till such times , the number is sufficient to warrant KC (UK) registration, as the Rottweiler and Bull mastiff has...

I would be interested to see how many GSD`s have been recorded in recent years of causing death by attacks, same with the other breeds you mention, there were two rottis a few years back that killed a child in a pub as I recall, but these dogs were kept as guard dogs from my memory.

When I was young I think everyone I knew had been bitten by an "Alsatian" as they were called then (some still breed this type) .

the APBT and type along with the other breeds on the register were banned because of to many incidents , they were not banned due to elitism , snobbery or any other club throwing its weight around. to suggest the KC is somewhat responsibly is the oddest thing I have heard to date, the KC is a dog club, it holds no authority regarding government and laws.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

11-10-2014, 01:21 PM
there were two rottis a few years back that killed a child in a pub as I recall, but these dogs were kept as guard dogs from my memory.
It was in September 2006.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ttweilers.html
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2014, 02:35 PM
RECORDED ATTACKS BY DOGS IN LONDON -----------------------------------------------------------------
1990 1991 1992 (Jan-May)
Total 565 467 231
Numbers of injuries 380 274 77
Police officers hurt 90 34 3

Type of dog involved in the incident
Pit-bull Terriers 127 158 107
German Shepherds 132 104 20
Rottweilers 84 55 15
Dobermans 22 26 10
Cross-breeds 84 53 14
Others 116 71 65

Source: Metropolitan Police

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...d-1538841.html
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2014, 03:34 PM
" And I'm not sure the middle class keep pitbulls"...dear G-d, I wish this comment was a joke...I don't wish to say anything that will get me banned from this site and I'm reminded of the adage " If I tried to argue with you, then we'd both be wrong".
Of course German Shepherds and Dobermans aren't on the dangerous dog list...all those years of careful breeding took the danger right out of them, makes perfect sense.
Somehow I'm reading racism and classism into and already idiotic argument...respectfully of course...sniff sniff.
Hard as it may be to believe, there are many middle and upper class Caucasians who own and love their pit bulls very much...pity you've never met any of them Baxter.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2014, 05:20 PM
I think that's true for the US lovemybull. It's very diferent here in uk. I think you misunderstand me - I hae a staffie who could easily be mistaken as a pit that are shamefully banned in the uk. Read my comments in context don't stoop to picking out comments in isolation to make a lame and irrelevant point.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Oh dear Jackie - yet again someone reading something quite different into my posts. What I was saying was that pitbulls are not kc registered making banning of them much easier. Comprende? Other "dangerous" dogs mysteriously didn't appear having the protection of the kc.

for the record I loath BSL - I don't have an opinion on the beloved kc.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-10-2014, 05:49 PM
What I was saying was that pitbulls are not kc registered making banning of them much easier. Comprende?
I understood you perfectly, you've just reiterated the same point in the above, your suggesting / implying that the KC has influenced the ban on the pit bull because it is not recognised by the UK KC.....

I'm at a loss to understand what you mean by " the protection of the KC " .......who do you think they are...the mafia !!!!

Your giving them far more power than they actually have !!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2014, 06:15 PM
The KC is the biggest canine interest group in the UK ergo they do have influence. Would they not be consulted and have something to say if labradors were banned?

I am opposed to BSL, judging by your comments you are not. That is what this thread is about surely.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top