register for free

Dog News

Pet pug Merlin dies on P&O ferry

A pet pug died during a Channel crossing on a P&O ferry after he was banned from leaving the car - despite temperatures soaring to 30 degrees.

Kirsty Wallace's dog Merlin and two of Ms Wallace' other dogs had to be kept in the vehicle during the journey from Calais to Dover on Friday - one of the hottest days of the year.

When Ms Wallace returned to her car after the four-and-a-half hour [error corrected by me as it was stated year and not hour] crossing on the Spirit of France, the three-year-old dog had died and could not be resuscitated.
...[snip]...
P&O Ferries said it was a 'distressing' incident but that the company had followed the rules
Full article and photographs here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-day-year.html

Well I guess they would say that, but perhaps a little sympathy and condolences would not have gone amiss.

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Sad that he died, but the owner shouldn't have left him in there. That was a very, very bad idea... and it cost her poor dog his life. Even if the rules state that the dog must be left in there, a 90 minute ride over in that heat is of course going to kill him... Have to be smarter, I'm sorry but I blame the owner more than the ferry rules.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-07-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty sure there are kennel facilities onboard, can't understand why she didn't use them
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2014, 09:44 AM
P&O Ferries - no apparent kennel facilities onboard for journeys between Dover-Calais-Dover.

If you are taking your pet(s) on the Dover-Calais route you will need to check-in at least one hour before departure and the animals must remain inside the vehicle at all times during the crossing. Foot passengers cannot travel with pets.
[My bold]

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/con...g_your_pet.htm
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Then she shouldn't have brought the dog at all. Of course that long of a ride left in a hot car is going to kill a Pug. I feel sorry for the dog... another silly owner thinking a dog will be okay for long periods of time in a hot car. When will it stop?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-07-2014, 10:01 AM
That's strange I do know of some one who used kennel facilities when they sent over to France
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2014, 10:42 AM
I honestly do not know tawneywolf. All I know is that the story was reported in the media and as such I posted it on here.

I also checked with P&O regarding their Dover-Calais-Dover route and posted what their website says, with a link to it.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2014, 12:41 PM
This is not the first time this has happened - two Dutch Bouviers de Flandres died on the ferry a couple of years ago. So many dogs are travelling on pet passports these days - perhaps you have to be prepared to forgo your holiday, or dog show, if the forecast suggests it will be too hot. Surely the carrying company could issue some warnings about the risk when documents are checked.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 01:24 PM
They should provide a deck area for people to be able to take their dogs! I would like to travel with my dogs in the future and would be heartbroken to have to leave them in the car particularly as they will not allow you to go down and check on them once the ferry is in motion. ... I think if travelling to france with dogs, the euro tunnel is the only option... At least you can stay with them and get them out into the carriage if they are becoming distressed.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Are you allowed to take dogs on Eurostar? I didn't think you were.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top