register for free

Dog News

Police dog bites unarmed man while on floor

...has received 27 comments (page 2)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Just a few seconds of video but yes the way the bloke reared up on 'all fours' head on moving forward must have looked very threatening to that dog. Especially as it was already no doubt in a high state of excitement.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-06-2014, 10:31 AM
With the new dog laws now in force, will the police, or the officer involved get prosecuted for allowing their dog to bite an unarmed man who was on the floor? If it was any of us and our dogs they would throw the book at us!
Same story covered on the BBC here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-27319118
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2014, 10:37 AM
I do not know Azz - as yet I have not heard any news resulting from either the dog bite or the arrest, so I have no idea whether there will be any prosecution of either the man concerned or the dog handler.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2014, 11:02 AM
To be honest the dog seemed a bit out of it while the suspect was on the floor. I mean I'm no expert in police dogs but shouldn't the dog be listening to what the handler says? Can't do that when barking madly and lungeing.
But we don't know what command the handler gave his dog... We only see a snippit of a situation.
But I clearly see the dog handler take a step forward which brings the dog within biting range! I don't know if he accidentally lost grip of his lead or if he took a step to get out of the way of the car in the street.. Hardly seems the dog's fault.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

09-06-2014, 11:17 AM
The dog didn't do anything wrong and I don't think it matters that the clip was so short. The bloke was restrained and arrested on the ground so didn't appear to need the dog to further restrain him. I think the handler appeared to lose his footing and was pulled off balance by the dog and then struggled to get him off the bloke on the floor.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

09-06-2014, 11:30 AM
If you look at that clip again and again, a car appeared from behind the handler which probably caused him to lose his footing.

And he did do all he could to control the dog but was off footing himself.

I suggest that those who think the dog and the handler were wrong, look at the video again and see the car appear at the back of the handler.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

09-06-2014, 11:43 AM
I didn't see where anyone said the dog and handler were to blame and the car was nowhere near the handler when he lost his footing, he needs better footwear, boots with grip rather than shoes.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-06-2014, 12:48 PM
The dog was either out of control, or the handler incorrectly instructed the dog to bite - both should be covered by the DDA. I will be interested to see how things pan out.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

09-06-2014, 12:57 PM
The dog was obviously hyped up but didn't look to be out of control, they were fine until the handler lost his footing. Police dogs are usually hyped up in such situations, one standing about contemplating his navel wouldn't be much of a deterrent. I doubt very much anything will happen as a result.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2014, 06:15 AM
There is not a solid reason for the dog to have bitten. If the handler GAVE the dog the command, someone needs to say WHY. He was already down, and even if he tried to get up... why let the dog bite him? just do your job and pin him back down.

If the dog bit without a command, he needs to be fired/retired from the job. He also went for the NECK area, which is not part of proper training, which is why the dog is being re-trained.

As for the officer who was questioned... what an excuse. Like Azz said, if it were one of our dogs, we'd have caught the book but with a cop dog.. he just gets retrained. So unfair.

The cop struggled with the dog, it appeared as if he couldn't get the dog to release. Don't like it at all. I'd want to see that dog fired, not just re trained if that were my family member that got bitten like that. Incompetent cops.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top