register for free

Dog News

Tail docking benefits working dogs, says study

...has received 51 comments (page 3)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2014, 08:27 AM
You haven't seen the clumsy Dobermans and wobbly Rotties that I have. They NEEDED their tails and cutting them off only served to throw of their balance and reduce their ability to communicate
I think Myra , in your own words ......."I think that comment is garbage", I agree with Trouble, maybe the wobbly dogs you have seen are wobbly for other reasons, because like Shirley having owned docked dogs and been around many mostly Rottis and Boxers, I can assure you they have no trouble communicating their emotions or lacking balance..... these statements often get thrown around by people with little understanding and no experience of owning docked dogs either for work or pleasure.

Suggesting Luke is speaking garbage shows a total lack of understanding on the working dog.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2014, 09:29 AM
If someone cut off one of our appendages we would struggle I don't understand why anyone would not understand that can apply to dogs too. Looking at mine with their beautiful tails waving high I well remember my first dog's little stump he had huge problems with the stump and communication. He always looked like he had his tail down or between his legs which gave a very different idea to his companions than if he could have held it high and waved it in greeting.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Julie..... You are not cutting off anything, you are docking a tail the tail is still there just short, plenty of breeds have natural short tails, they don't have a problem communicating so why would a docked dog be singled out in not being able to communicate....

If we cut off one of our fingers we would not be able to use it, if it was amputated to a shorter level, then we would still have the finger to use, as my uncle did, he lost the tip of his finger , but was still able to use the rest of it.

As I said, why single out docked dogs with the not being able to communicate , bulldogs, pugs, Australian shepherds corgis and other breeds have naturally short tails, yet they seem to be fine....
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2014, 12:13 PM
You are not cutting anything off ? well learn something new everyday the removal of my first dogs tail certainly involved cutting his tail off and to suggest docking is not cutting off a tail is rather stretching the truth there.

And I would argue many tailless dogs do have problems with communication, also from what I was told by my vet a few years ago suffer more constipation and anal gland problems too.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2014, 01:05 PM
No constipation or anal gland problems here with my little stumpy tailed rat!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2014, 01:46 PM
I stand by my statement. These dogs were clumsy because their tails were docked too short. With Rotts, they are sometimes docked all the way to the base, leaving almost no tail at all.

The docks on these breeds are cosmetic, therefore I still stand against it regardless of that information. I could be wrong about the balance thing, but still am against docking on breeds such as Dobermans and rotts.

I said that in some working Spaniels that it's all right... so you can stop trying to refute statements I didn't make and repeating what others have already said Jackie. But if you'd like a hand clap, here you go *clap, clap*

Also, you are cutting off or "banding off" part of the dogs body. If you get the first two joints on your finger removed, they were cut off... even though your entire finger was not. The function of that finger will go way down regardless. It's no longer even useful, actually.

In the end, it's your dog, and you are free to do whatever you want to with it... but doesn't mean I'll agree with it. I think docking in MOST breeds isn't needed at all and the dog does not and will not benefit from it.

In the case of a proper working dog, there can be an exception of course. But I'm speaking about most dogs here, and to me... most dogs do not need it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2014, 01:49 PM
You are not cutting anything off ? well learn something new everyday the removal of my first dogs tail certainly involved cutting his tail off and to suggest docking is not cutting off a tail is rather stretching the truth there.
My reply was aimed at your statement that implied the cutting off of the whole tail..... Which in not the case, the dog still has a tail, all be it a short one, you've said it again, ....cutting off my dogs tail.... The dogs tail is still tree and can still use it to communicate his emotions.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2014, 01:52 PM
A split tail is an absolute misery. Believe me, I was anti-docking prior to having my boys, but I can really see and understand why it is still allowed in working dogs. Kibo doesn't work and has still managed to split his and it was a ****** to heal.

Honestly, I think a Vizsla is a bonnier looking dog with a full tail ( a vizsla dock is only 1/3 off ) but normally when a split won't heal the poor dogs end up needing much more than that taking off.

As for mis-reading signals/body language, the only problem my dogs have with that is with one particular Doberman ( an import ) that we meet now and again with cropped ears. It immediately puts them on the back foot.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2014, 01:55 PM
It was a long time ago now but when I was a young teenager I volunteered at a local Boxer breeder kennels. I witnessed one of her litters being docked, and I don't care what anyone says, those puppies felt pain! They was squirming, yelping and otherwise looking distressed. I've since been told that they were probably older then a couple of days ( when it's meant to be done? ), but I'm not convinced that even puppies as young as that do not feel any pain. Not to mention, the tail is an extension of the dog's spine!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2014, 01:56 PM
These dogs were clumsy because their tails were docked too short.

That's some statement you are making ....I take it is from an official point of view..ie.... Vets reports, or are you just making wild assumptions again, and decided that a clumsy dog is clumsy y due to being docked.

I've seen hundreds of docked boxers and rottis, and none of them look clumsy . It may just be that the dogs you see are clumsy due to other problems.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top