register for free

Dog News

Taxi driver gets 10 points and a caution for refusing to carry guide dog

...has received 37 comments (page 4)
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 08:00 AM
And who believes the driver in this case, so he never read the rules of the taxi licence? I can't believe someone could be so ignorant and if they are they should not be given a licence to drive a taxi.

I believe the taxi driver. Lets face it its hard enough to get a job and make any money these days. Am sure cabbies arent in the habit of turning away fairs without good reason?

As for giving him 10 points? Well I personally think that is ridiculous. The chap should have told them when he rang that he had a dog with him, common courteousy at the end of the day.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Why is it considered an acceptable excuse for a taxi driver to say he did not realise the law concerning guide dogs? Would we accept it from a bus driver, I doubt it, the bus driver ( or any one giving a public service) would have gone through training and one assumes said training will involve the highway code, and all relervent rules and regs, and to be honest , you would have had to live in isolation to not be aware of where and when guide dogs are allowed.

Comparing the reading of terms and conditions of let's say buying a washing machine or taking out insurance to a taxi driver not being aware of the law is ludicrous to say the least.

To be honest I would go further on this, and say as well as the taxi driver being fined, the firm he works for should also be fined, because if what he says is the truth , the are equally at fault for

1) failing to educate their drivers of the law of the land

2) allowing their drivers to practice discrimination ...which is against the law.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Its against the law to discriminate on the grounds of religion isnt it?

Every days a school day lets face it, the driver didnt know it was law. Did the man with the dog know the driver was muslim? did he know it was a religious issue regarding the dogs in general? Who knows. We werent there we didnt hear how the conversation went we can only make assumptions.

Forgetting about law for a second. If I wanted to get in a cab with my dog and the driver said, I cant take your dog as it is contrary to my religious beliefs to be in close contact with a dog OR look love am frickin terrified of dogs, would I insist just because it was law for a driver to carry my dog? NO. Taxis arent hens teeth at the end of the day and I wouldnt get my knickers in a twist and report the driver.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I've had drivers tell me that indeed, assistance dogs are covered in training or whatever and so not to take crap from those who pleed ignorance.

Tbh, I wouldn't fine the firm, the ones I deal with at least, expect their drivers to follow the law and aren't amused when they don't.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 10:30 AM
this case typifies this and the punishment is pitiful but of course no one dare really punish the driver that would invoke all kinds of backlash. Removing the drivers licence for at least a year would be more appropriate in my view

removing his livelihood for a year just to teach him a lesson for being muslim and not ready all the T&Cs of his contract?

All of this could have been avoided if the man pointed out he had a dog with him. We live in a multicultural society.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 10:38 AM
But as I say, unless I know who I'm dealing with, I make a point of mentioning a dog.

And as I've also said, it doesn't always work.

Fear is one thing, religion is quite another.

I couldnt give a stuff if they're Muslim, Christian or Jedi, IMO, it's got no place in the work place.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I think more poeple should adopt that view that Religion has no place in the workplace.

It would make it much easier for employers as then they could open on Christmas Day!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Absolutely SB
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top