register for free

Dog News

Cat dies after attack by off lead dog

A cat owner has called for dog owners to keep their pets on a lead after her cat was attacked in its front garden in Bodian Way, Grimsby. Fourteen-year-old Poppy's injuries included “horrific” bites, crushed internal organs and a broken leg and despite veterinary treatment, she had to be put to sleep after a week.

Poppy's owner, Caron Musson, 45, said the cat was waiting outside for her son, Owen, 16, to return home from school. She described how the off-lead Staffordshire bull terrier barked as it entered the garden, grabbing Poppy as she jumped up on the fence to get away. Ms Musson said: “My other son, Jordan, 19, heard the commotion and had to grab Poppy's back legs so the dog didn't shake her to death.

“I am disgusted that the dog was loose – all dogs should be under control in public places.” She said a man, possibly a friend of the dog's owner, intervened, resulting in the dog letting go, while the owner “looked on”.

The dog's owner returned to apologise two days later but gave a false name and address.

Vet Agata Tiszler said Poppy began to eat a little before taking a turn for the worse. Calling Poppy's injuries “horrific”, she explained: “She suffered from massive anaemia – a decrease in the number of red blood cells – and we couldn't give her a blood transfusion because she was too week.

“We also had to open up her abdomen because her intestines had ruptured.

“In the majority of animals we see with injuries caused by a dog, the culprit is usually a Staffordshire bull terrier.”

She added that she believes all dogs should be on a lead or at least muzzled if off lead.

Dog trainer Susan McKeon, who owns Puppy School North Lincolnshire, said: “Most dogs have a prey drive, however, with positive training and responsible dog ownership, a dog can learn 'impulse' control when around a highly arousing stimulus - such as a cat.

“Dog owners have a moral and legal responsibility to ensure their dogs are under control in a public place.

“Under the Dangerous Dogs Act (1991) if a dog is deemed to be 'dangerously out of control' in a public place you can be liable for prosecution and your dog could be destroyed.

Ms McKeon said that dog attacks on animals, especially on private property, are not covered by the law.

She added: “It is very easy to label the bull breeds as dangerous dogs, however this is misleading.

“All dogs, regardless of their breed, have the ability to bite, attack and cause damage.”

Your comments and views:
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Ghastly story .. very sad, and dreadful for the poor cat and the owners.

However, I cannot help but wonder how many birds, mice, butterflies and other little creatures that cat has herself tortured and killed, without anybody suggesting that it should be muzzled and kept under control.

It is a cat's nature to torture and kill prey, and it is no different for a dog. I totally agree that this dog should not have been allowed to grab the cat on its own property, but dogs are no worse than cats in following their natural instincts. I have had my dogs on the lead when a cat has run out of the hedge and they have both pursued it, having dragged their leads out of my hands because i was caught unawares. Luckily the cat escaped ... but it may not have done.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 01:48 PM
If your pet is not safe from assault in its OWN garden, then where IS it safe.

The dog should have been on the LEAD, then this situation would never have arisen.

If you feel that you are not strong enough to control your dogs then either do not take them out together, take them out separately, use head collars or harnesses, or do not have the dogs at all.

IF YOU CANNOT CONTROL IT, DO NOT OWN IT!

I am afraid it is NOT in a dog's nature to "torture" ! It is in its nature to stalk, hunt, chase, catch and kill.

But all of the above is ENTIRELY AVOIDABLE by the use of LEADS in the RELEVANT contexts, eg on a public highway!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 02:19 PM
O shut up, you pompous prat.

I can and do control my dogs. however, unlike you, sadly I am not Mrs Perfect. Occasionally I drift off into my own thoughts and my two boys can take me unawares.

i quite agree that the poor cat did not deserve to be killed on his own patch ... but then that same cat doubtless many times strayed into gardens other than his own and murdered countless song birds.

I didn't mean to imply that dogs tortured birds, my apologies, I meant that cats torture birds and get away with it, so why should it be any different for dogs who don't torture their prey but kill outright.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 02:30 PM
The poor cat and owners..........

Gnasher.......not even going there with you
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Setting species aside the dog shouldn't have been off lead full stop.

Am not a cat fan by any stretch of the imagination but don't like to hear of avoidable harm coming to them.

It was in its own garden and its criminal history is not pertinent. It is natural for both animals to chase and kill stuff and also natural for a cat to not kill immediately (the word torture is not in a cats vocabulary (nor murder)and getting away with is not a consideration for them either am sure)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I've had the same thing happen as Gnasher before...taken unaware by a cat that bolted from a hedge, lead ripped from my hands, my dog in hot pursuit of the cat who managed to get over a fence. These ACCIDENTS can happen.

However in this case if the owner was walking it without a lead then that is obviously wrong. I hope the cat didn't suffer too much and the owner has a strong wakeup call.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 02:59 PM
There is simply no justification for the dog being off-lead.

The cat was in its own garden for goodness sake - a place where it should have been safe.

The owners must be distraught
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Poor little kitty I would be mortified if this happened to my two.

Bless the poor thing for not getting away quick enough.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I feel sorry for the owners and agree the dog should have been on lead and under control. However its a bit harsh to say ALL dogs should be on lead at all times or muzzled!

I agree on roads and busy housing estates dogs should be on lead for there own safety as much as anything.

I can also see Gnashers point about cats, if you let you cat stray then chances are its killed wild animals and a few non wild ones too. My neighbour has birds in an avirey (sp?) outside and cats have gotten a couple of birds before. Then there are fish ponds where cats are happy to kill very expensive fish. But there is never any action taken against the cats owners.

Doesnt mean the dog was ok to kill the cat of course just that both have prey drives and were doing what comes naturally to them. the dog doesnt deserve to me painted as the bad guy its the owners fault.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top