register for free

Dog News

Benton the dog becomes YouTube sensation

...has received 23 comments (page 2)
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Apparently it all ended OK, well, thats what I read on the Burns or Blue Cross link (can't remember which).

On a serious note, even a dog with a solid recall can 'go deaf' if a prey drive kicks in. Why did he not do the safest and most sensible thing of keeping his dog on a lead??

I keep my dog on a lead around cattle, sheep and chickens. Yes, she has a great recall, but I see no point in testing it when there is such a risk???
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 08:32 PM
I can't see the funny side at all..... not one little bit....
Let's hope the irresponsible owner has learned a lesson, and that the deer are ok after this unfortunate incident.
Ellard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Vicki I agree. Don't see the funny side at all there are all manner of things could have happened there.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Walking in Richmond park often, I see this all the time. To me its not very funny as it disturbs the deer, put the dog in danger, and the dogs and deer can run in to traffic...

In the owners defense, dog owners are often caught out by the deer which camouflage very well. They are culling the deer at the moment, and there have been deer absolutely everywhere recently. I have had Kestral on a long line just incase. Thankfully Kestral did an amazing whistle recall after she noticed them before me and ran off in their direction - even with my deer eyes on they can be hard to spot, but I do agree if you are concerned keep dog on lead.

On the other hand there are plenty of stupid owners who are quite oblivious to the dangers and let their dogs run riot

Oops rant over!!!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 11:22 PM
I find it quite amusing as the bloke has cleary got what he deserved for not following the rules! But I think what worries me is that people like this are the ones who cause the whole "dogs must be on a lead/dogs banned" business. A lot of people hate dogs already, we really don't need any help from people like him!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:50 AM
I don't find it funny, but maybe that coz I've always known if my dogs chase Deer they could be shot, Benton could of been to if the right people thought a Deers life was in danger, apart from him or the Deers getting hurt another way, tbh I think that many people may of watched it because its another cute naughty Lab like Marley, and didn't think of the serious consquecences this could have.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 01:04 PM
The blokes reaction was funny but obviously the dog chasing was not!
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 03:05 PM
You said it so much better than me Labradork!
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Those were the words I was looking for labradork!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Easily done though - Specially as they're out shooting them at the moment.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top