Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Antibiotic resistant bladder infection

Minnie has had her urine tested for diabetes, which, thank goodness, proved negative. However, the Vet found a small amount of blood in her urine, which seems to indicate a bladder infection.

Within a few weeks of getting Minnie (Yorkie, 12 years old) she was diagnosed with cystitis and went on a course of antibiotics. It was quite severe, as I could see the blood in her urine. It seemed to clear up with the antibiotics, but about two months ago I noticed she was straining a bit when urinating, so took her back to Vet, who put her on a three week course of low level antibiotics, and, once again, it seemed to clear up.

However, with the result of today's urine test, it looks as though the infection is not actually clearing up, but just sitting there, giving no symptoms at the moment, but still there in her body.

My question is, has anyone ever tried alternative treatments for cystitis, like, for instance, giving cranberry in some form, as I know cranberries are good for human cystitis, or is this a no-no for dogs? I would prefer that she doesn't have yet more antibiotics, as once again she has no real symptoms, but don't like the idea of an infection sitting in her body.

Would be grateful for any comments or advice!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
found this for you hope it helps,and shes better very soon xxzbxx
http://www.pets.ca/encyclopedia/cystitis.htm
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks Zoeybeau. Had a look and cranberry is quite often used, plus probiotics as in live yoghurt, so will try those.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
no problems xxzbx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Cant do her any harm.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2007, 09:27 PM
At that age she may have a lazy bladder and not be able to fully empty leaving maybe 10ml or so of stagnant pee, obviously you cant make a dog drink if it doesnt want to so to flush out as much as you can, i would most defo try cranberry tablets.. or else a small dose of AB's long term..
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2007, 10:01 PM
She was on a low dosage AB for three weeks, which she finished about two weeks ago. I'm a bit reluctant to put her on any more so soon after, hence the cranberry and live yoghurt. Of course, if she shows discomfort, then I will go back to vet for AB's.

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate any help you can give me.