View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 06:00 PM

Maddy approves of Border Terriers! (A big step in Maddy's behaviour).

Have been out all day with just Maddy today to a countryside woodland walkway. We had a lovely time (before the rain came at least!), and Maddy made a few very big steps forward concerning her fear aggresion.

The biggest incident was when a border terrier came charging towards us offlead, Maddy was offlead and as he came at us so fast I didn't want to panic her so I just sat her down and told her to wait, which she did very nicely so I didn't put her lead on I was just going to let him pass when his owners caught up.

With Maddy really behaving so well, especially as she was offlead, it was an instant buzz and a feeling I cannot describe (my dad thinks i'm mad), but she must have picked up on this and started to play normally with the dog as if she knew him! (She had never met him before in her life!) I actually had a face that looked similar to this.... She has never ever got on with a dog straightaway on a first meeting without all the defence and barking and making a scene first since her attack. She had a fantastic time chasing him, and then him chasing her back to me and didn't bark at him at all! Only one little yap in play.

When his owners finally caught up they said sorry he'd ran off and was he ok to play for a while or did I want them to put him on a lead if he was pestering. I never thought in a million years i'd be able to say it but I over the moon to let them know he was fine to carry on playing with her!

They had a good chase about for about 15 minutes then we went down different pathways, but this has absolutely made my day. I cannot begin to tell you how pleased I am with her today.

We met a lot of other dogs and she did give a few gruffs, but then she was onlead, (you just never know how another dog will react do you?) Although she was also partial to a male weimy we met, called Casper.

Another big incident for Maddy, all in one day so she is doing well today! We had to step into the long grass and bushes at the side of the walkway to let about 6 or 7 horses and their riders pass us. Now as she is fear aggressive towards other dogs you can imagine her usual reaction to any bigger animals!

But no! She sat still and just watched them pass us by, within half a meter from us and she didn't even flinch! Horse after horse, and all the riders saying thank you and how good she was! This cannot be my dog, someone has swapped her when I wasn't looking!

So all in all an absolutely brilliant day, and I couldn't care less about getting soaked to the skin with over mile left to walk home, it was well worth it!

Needless to say, she's now enjoying her Sunday dinner as I type!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 06:18 PM
That's great, I'm so pleased for you. It's terrific when dogs get on isn't it. I hope it proves to be a lasting improvement.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 06:20 PM
What a brilliant day for you.

I'm sure she will have picked up on your good vibes too.

Well done Maddy - may this be the start of trusting other dogs again.

random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanx guys, it's just such a big thing for her, i'm so pleased! I could do a dance!
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Well done to you both, no wonder you are so happy.
Get your dancing shoes on, and I hope this is the start of many more relaxed walks.
(shame you got soaked but so did we today, we only did 6 miles but god it was pouring down)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 08:49 PM
That's great news!

Well done Maddy!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 07:21 AM
I know the feeling you describe and it's great isn't it. Congratulations!
Becky
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Great news for you and Maddy.I know what you mean you just cannot describe the feeling its like your'e glowing inside when something goes right.I think only other doggie people understand that feeling.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 07:58 AM
thats great news hun so pleased you had a great a day and you should be so proud its a small step forward but such a big one as well, well done
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanx everyone, I think you are right Lynn, not many people understand at all, that's why i'm glad to be a member here, you all know what I mean!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >