View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 04:34 PM

sticky situation... new owners of scruffy have bought a puppy.

hey guys.
as some of u know, my OH's parents took on scruffy, my mums 7 year old bichon, last year.
anyway, i told them he could not live with other dogs, he has already been rehomed twice due to not getting on with another dog. And told them they should not get a puppy and definetely not a staffie. they are not the type of people to even bother to train a dog let alone anything else. Just last week they were complaining that they could not afford to take scruffy to the vet. he had a painful ear infection.

well, today my OH phoned me and told me they have bought a 6 week old staffie puppy.

what should i do? should i phone them and tell them i am rehoming him, as i already told them they could not get another dog with him round. Plus the fact they couldnt afford one dog as it was, let alone getting another, which they have obv bought for their 4 yr old grandson who lives with them.

or... do i sit back and hope for the best? knowing that it will probably end in scruffy getting hurt
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2006, 05:21 PM
god jen
why have they taken on a pup if they can't take scruff to the vets?
or they can but not bothered about him?
if you know scruff isn't getting the care he needs or you wanted for him with the knowledge you already have then i would re home him.
the fact you told them and have gone against what you adviced say it all to me.
if scruff will end up getting hurt as the pup grows then i would stop it before it happens, but then again you don't know they might get on and be fine together.
have a chat and see what they intend to do.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Sit down with them and tell them how it is.

Ask how they are planning this out for the LONG term.

If you're not satisfied, or they do not stick to their word - rehome him...
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 06:21 PM
that is a tricky one for you with out offending them i would , explain the long term comitment and expence isee what your saying if they cant even afford to take scruffy to the vets how will they pay for the pups jabs ? if you get no where then i would look at re homing the pup
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 06:23 PM
I agree with the above, you have to do what you think is best for Scruff, I cant believe they would disregard your advice, oh I sympathise because these kinds of things can turn into world war three, I wish you all the best of luck and remember you know what is right
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 07:19 PM
well i phoned them earlier.
and explained that i wanted to rehome scruffy cos of this and OH's mum said 'well if thats wot u want to do'. she didnt sound too happy.
I asked how they will afford to pay for both dogs and she said that she pays for scruffy and her husband pays for the puppy?
what the hell.
apparently they have wanted a staffie for ages, so he went and got one, and she says they are getting on fine at the moment. yeh, at the moment. but i dont know if im willing to wait to see if scruffy gets hurt. cos disagreements do happen at some point and scruffy always stands his ground.

do i wait and see how it turns out? or do i rehome him now?

i really dont know. i told them how i feel, and they seem to want to see how it goes. i said to them that in 6 months time if it goes horribly wrong they may have to rehome one, and they will obv rehome scruffy as he is the older dog, and they have 'always wanted a staffie'. well, since i got indie they have anyway.

but they paid 250 quid for this puppy, but last week complained they had no money.

ive phoned my dad and enquired about wether he would take scruffy on, so if he says yes then i think i will go ahead. but hes not keen on small dogs cos they yap, so have to see what he thinks, hes going to think about it.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
well i phoned them earlier.
and explained that i wanted to rehome scruffy cos of this and OH's mum said 'well if thats wot u want to do'. she didnt sound too happy.
I asked how they will afford to pay for both dogs and she said that she pays for scruffy and her husband pays for the puppy?
what the hell.
apparently they have wanted a staffie for ages, so he went and got one, and she says they are getting on fine at the moment. yeh, at the moment. but i dont know if im willing to wait to see if scruffy gets hurt. cos disagreements do happen at some point and scruffy always stands his ground.

do i wait and see how it turns out? or do i rehome him now?

i really dont know. i told them how i feel, and they seem to want to see how it goes. i said to them that in 6 months time if it goes horribly wrong they may have to rehome one, and they will obv rehome scruffy as he is the older dog, and they have 'always wanted a staffie'. well, since i got indie they have anyway.

but they paid 250 quid for this puppy, but last week complained they had no money.

ive phoned my dad and enquired about wether he would take scruffy on, so if he says yes then i think i will go ahead. but hes not keen on small dogs cos they yap, so have to see what he thinks, hes going to think about it.
Aww poor Scruffy - doesn't sound like he is going to be a very happy dog cos Staffies can be very boisterous can't they - all the ones I have met are anyway. To be honest these people don't sound like they love Scruffy at all and are not doing their best for him. What sort of people leave a dog in pain with an ear infection and then go and get another puppy, he would be better off out of there. What about contacting Bichon Rescue cos I am sure they will find a lovely home for him, he's still only young?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 07:55 PM
hi foxy. hes 8 now i think.
i dont really want to rehome him thru rescue. if i can, i want to rehome him with someone i know. my mum would be heartbroken if she couldnt see him again.

i just dont know what to do.
maybe i shud wait and see... but i just cant see it working out. scruffy will always stand up for himself, which gets him into trouble. Ive asked my dad if he will take him, im still pending a response... i mean, they do have another dog, but hes really calm. but then that might not work out, but they have a big house, lots of land and are really putting in loads of effort to train the dog they have and they never hesistate to take their pets to the vet.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2006, 07:56 PM
jen they have answered you already they know scruff is in pain say they can't afford to get treatment for it but can spend 250 on a pup.
if they have wanted a staff since you getting indie then it seems to me the pup comes 1st already not the dog they already own.
they will get on ok its a pup but in time they might not any pup will see what it can get away with when growing up and if scruff won't tolerate it then there is a risk 1 of them will be hurt and my guess scruff will get the blame regardless.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Sorry to sound Harsh,but that poor lad needs rehoming it is abuse in my eyes that,that poor Dogs has A ear infection thats not been treated

I would sell my Car anything to make sure my Dogs got the treament they need not buy a f*****G Pup.

Poor you tho to have to worry about this,good on youxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >