Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Genetic links between dog breeds

thought this was interesting - genetic links between breeds

I must admit I would have expected the GSD to be within the pastoral breed link so I'm not sure how accurate this really is !
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Wow if these are right there's now't so queer as genetics. The GSD in one group, the Belgian in a totally separate group & the border collie & old English in yet another. Annoyingly the leonberger which I was interested to see as I've been told it had some GSD in its initial make up is, unless I'm missing it, not there at all.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2012, 01:39 PM
...and here it is expressed in a different format ( click on the bar above the picture to view it a bit clearer ! )

(taken from the Canine Genome project)
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-05-2012, 01:44 PM
The Gsd does look out of place in the mastiff list ..lol
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I wonder why the GSD is in that list, then? If what I've always read is true, then I thought only various herding breeds were used in its make-up (with perhaps a touch of wolf, perhaps not! according to some accounts). Was a breed/s like the Rottweiler included as well, to give size?

I am not surprised to see the Belgians in a separate category along with some sighthounds.... I forget where I read it, but I've always understood they had some sighthound in their far ancestry.

Rough Collie in the same category also makes sense as they were crossed with Borzoi at some point (or so legend has it) which would account for the genetic relationship, although that doesn't really explain the Sheltie, which I always thought may have had distant Spitz ancestry, given the history of its native islands.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I had my SBT done by the Genome Project when they were collecting breed samples, I was really surprised at the breeds that cropped up in his genetics. Unfortunately I lost the results when my old pooter's hard drive got corrupted, but I seem to remember there was Mastiff and Pointer in there.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 12:13 AM
And where's my Min Pin in all of that? I see the Italian Greyhound and the Dachshund but no Min Pin!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post

I am not surprised to see the Belgians in a separate category along with some sighthounds.... I forget where I read it, but I've always understood they had some sighthound in their far ancestry.
I'm not surprised either, although it sounds strange

It might explain their general lack of body fat I guess. I was told by my breeder yonks ago, when GAs were a problem with BSDs, that it was because their bodies are more like sighthounds than GSDs (which the vets tended to treat them as back then).

MMmmm, interesting

Thanks Bijou.

Wys
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Even allowing for the fact that these are the ancient links from where our modern breeds originate my mind can't imagine how the chihuaha came about from a link between the hunting & mastiff groups
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Very interesting - does anyone know what is it the are measuring exactly at the genetic level - SNPs, RFLPs, other markers or specific loci? Is the heat map some kind of microarray data?

Never mind, decided to stop being lazy and look it up myself!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >