View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Although there were aspects that bothered me, such as the risk to the mother's health and the older children being roped in to look after their younger siblings, the kids seemed happy and well adjusted, and from what I could gather at least one parent in each family was working to support them. If that's how they choose to live their life then good luck to them.
I couldn't do it mind, I don't think I could cope with one child never mind fifteen. I think I'll stick to dogs.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2012, 11:21 PM
I'd rather toast my own head!
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:02 AM
I wondered more about the woman with 9 and twins on the way in a 4 bedroom house. Thats 9 (to be 11) kids between 3 rooms, thats approx 4 per bedroom so they either have huge rooms or it it awfully cramped which is surely not good long term, there will come an age when those children will surely all require a degree of privacy and with 4 to a room that is not gonna happen. I find its hard enough just to fit 2 and their belongings into one room never mind 4.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
One of them was adopted, and i think thats a deep seated psychological issue that needs counseling, not reconciling by producing!

My biggest thing is how can the emotional needs of these children be met? What happens if they are upset, or what happens if one of them gets really ill, or heaven forbid, and i lost a parent in my teens, they lose a parent! My mum was a star when that happened, and made sure we all had time to be cared for, and talk to us etc. No way could that happen if you had loads of children.

Rawr makes me soooooo cross.
They were both adopted.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
I would dare say it's slightly cruel? If you always have a newborn and a 1 year old, then they must take up all your time, surely the others feel a bit neglected? I was one of 2 for a long time, and have a little 11 year old sister whos obviously a lot younger, and it was nice cause we had one parent each, as it were.

Also, the jobs they were doing, baker, joiner, thats not enough to give kids a nice life. I refuse to believe you could have a decent diet, decent clothes etc on that budget. Surely you could never afford to do ANYTHING, extra curricular activites unless all the kids wanted to do the same. Would be hard for the children to express individuality. Omg it makes me cross!!
My best friend works at the primary school on my local housing estate. I live on a new build estate adjoining a council estate and the vast majority of people produce children for a living which of course is paid for by the state. There are quite a few who continually produce children to get benefits so they don't have to work and she has said many times the children often suffer due to over crowding and a lack of sleep as there is almost always a newborn/young baby in the house. It's an appalling way to live and to be quite honest these "Mothers" know exactly what they're doing, if you stopped the handouts then they'd stop producing children and subjecting them to a deprived existence. Very sad indeed.

Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
Couldn't agree more!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Although there were aspects that bothered me, such as the risk to the mother's health and the older children being roped in to look after their younger siblings, the kids seemed happy and well adjusted, and from what I could gather at least one parent in each family was working to support them. If that's how they choose to live their life then good luck to them.
I couldn't do it mind, I don't think I could cope with one child never mind fifteen. I think I'll stick to dogs.
I agree that it was good that the one parent at least was working, however I'd imagine there was good reason for that, probably the amount their income is topped up by working tax credits.....

Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
As would I!!!!

Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
I wondered more about the woman with 9 and twins on the way in a 4 bedroom house. Thats 9 (to be 11) kids between 3 rooms, thats approx 4 per bedroom so they either have huge rooms or it it awfully cramped which is surely not good long term, there will come an age when those children will surely all require a degree of privacy and with 4 to a room that is not gonna happen. I find its hard enough just to fit 2 and their belongings into one room never mind 4.
What about the poor older kids on one of the families where they had to move down into the basement.....not the best message to a child, out with the old in with the new!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
They were both adopted.
Really? Now that, is rather interesting!

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
My best friend works at the primary school on my local housing estate. I live on a new build estate adjoining a council estate and the vast majority of people produce children for a living which of course is paid for by the state. There are quite a few who continually produce children to get benefits so they don't have to work and she has said many times the children often suffer due to over crowding and a lack of sleep as there is almost always a newborn/young baby in the house. It's an appalling way to live and to be quite honest these "Mothers" know exactly what they're doing, if you stopped the handouts then they'd stop producing children and subjecting them to a deprived existence. Very sad indeed.
That makes my blood boil, if you can't afford them yourself, don't have them!!!! There is an American family with 19 kids, they have their own show too, they are the complete contrast to their British counterparts, they have a HUGE house, the children are all incredibly bright, talented, well-adjusted, they all have their individual time with their parents, and their dad obviously brings home enough of an income to support them all. Americans who have big families do it because they want them, not because of what they'll earn!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 10:00 AM
I was keen to watch this as the family is local. I was expecting to be shouting at the tv, but as PB&J said, they were all well adjusted and well behaved. I didn't like aspects of it as well and thought she obviously had problems but I couldn't help but like the family.

However, the other family, I just got a negative feeling about them. She seemed very controlling.

Helen
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
There is an American family with 19 kids, they have their own show too, they are the complete contrast to their British counterparts, they have a HUGE house, the children are all incredibly bright, talented, well-adjusted, they all have their individual time with their parents, and their dad obviously brings home enough of an income to support them all. Americans who have big families do it because they want them, not because of what they'll earn!
The Duggars? They give me the creeps. They have a huge family because they believe they're doing god's will by creating a little Christian army, a 'quiverfull'. Shudder.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2012, 02:56 PM
I can't contemplate one child let alone 15?
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »