Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 08:14 PM

When should you handle a puppy

hay,
when should you handle a newborn puppy? I have no intention of breeding but seen an ad on [a social network] of all places on one day old staff pups being handled.
ATD x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 08:41 PM
There are good reasons for early handling of puppies.

See here:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/breeding/ensp.htm
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Only skim read this will read it properly when I'm on the laptop, but if these exercises aren't being preformed and the only purpose was to take a pic to sell them then the risk out weights the Benifit?
ATD x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 07:17 AM
What risks are there with handling one day old pups?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
when we had litters at work the pups were handled from a day old as they were weighed every day and checked that everything was ok. this was only ever done by the boss and the worker (me) strangers could handle, but they werent allowed until the pups were a certain age, and no pups were picked by their owners until the pups were 6/7 weeks old.

dont think it does any harm, if the dog knows the person they wont have a problem with you picking up their puppies. plus flatcoats are really people friendly breed which i think helped in that instant.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:43 AM
So just an old wives tale then about puPs being harmed or rejected?like I sad never really looked into it because never had any intention of breeding.
ATD
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:50 AM
i think if the bitch didnt know the person then it could cause a problem, or the bitch may not even let you pick up a puppy. but with breeding responsibly the owner should know the bitch extremely well.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:51 AM
In any case you NEED to examine the pups for cleft palates, hernias, etc etc.
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2011, 05:44 PM
My dog was handled by me/the breeder/breeder's son/etc from day one... no problems. They had to be handled to weigh and check them as has been said! The more handling puppies get, the quicker they get used to it, so as long as you know the bitch & she isn't stressed, it's a good thing
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 08:31 PM
All my pups are handled right from birth, as long as mum trusts you and can see the pup at all times, then definitely not a problem.

I currently have a 2 week old litter, when I pick them up now, because they've been handled from birth, they don't squirm and fall asleep very quickly, no stress involved.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >