Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-12-2010, 08:31 PM

Dogs and cats

How do your dogs and cats react to each other ??
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Ours get on fine - the cats keep the hairless dogs warm At first when we resuced the two kitties - the spinone hated the adult cat, but didnt mind the kitten! Took about 6weeks of him flying at her every times she moved before he got use to her, and lets her cuddle up to him - she just bashes him around the head The cats love it when we have a litter of pups running around and sit and play with them for hours before curling up with them in a bed
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-12-2010, 08:43 PM
All get one, all share everything..food, toys, beds, me, and never really argue. Always had dogs n cats together as far back as I can remember, never really had a problem. Two of my three mogs are infact bigger than my dogs so that may be what helps
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
All get one, all share everything..food, toys, beds, me, and never really argue. Always had dogs n cats together as far back as I can remember, never really had a problem. Two of my three mogs are infact bigger than my dogs so that may be what helps
lol.....
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 09:38 PM
The cat is the boss in our house!! She was here first and was bigger than Tilly (for about a week )
Tilly loves to play, herd her & sniff her butt, but when the cat has had enough she will give Tilly a whack!! Not often though
The cat generally just ignores Tilly.
If another cat comes in the garden Tilly is after it like a shot though!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Sadie has had a lot of cats share her bed, they died through unfortunate events, neighbours poisening and cars the main reason - poor things..but the one she lives with now is fine with her and the new pup yet when I took Louie round to get used to cats - he was his usual bouncy self and the cat hates him - will tolerate him in the house (after about 3 months) but anything else - NO.

My Aunt has a cat - Poppy, and when my Uncle took his GSD round Poppy was just a kitten - and boy did she give him a telling - he wouldnt go near her ever again - he'd move from wherever she was

It's funny this thread came up - I just watching Cats and Dogs: revenge of kitty galore!

OMG
The joke in it was

"Todays seminar - sexual harressment, dombermann or not - DONT pinch her!"

I laughed so hard and then had to explain to my OH about it
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Oh wow..this is a bit of a sore point at the moment

Sadie(gsd) has always been best friend with my cat momo (momo was here first) they will share a bed and play together.

The collies however are a different story- i have posted here for help in the past with ripleys obsession with the cat, she stalks her and tries to herd her constantly, she will not rest if the cat is within one room of her. Luckily, now she is older ripley knows the boundaries and wont make physical contact with her.

Maverick is a very naughty boy, he cannot be in the same room with the cat and a few weeks ago he chased and pinned her to the floor with his body.
Its not aggression exactly as he doesnt seem to want to 'maul' her he just seems to want to stop her moving but im in no doubt that he would cause serious harm if he got to her when i wasnt there.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
My cat Cuba adores Merlin and I swear she thinks she is a dog herself. She wags her tail when she's happy or pleased, and follows us out on walks every day
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2010, 08:52 AM
My dogs visit i stray cat with me that i feed. The cat greets them and rubs itself against them all three dogs stand totally still and pretend they can see cos they dont know what to do, its quite funny there little faces 'can you see a cat?' 'nope me either what cat?' as its rubbing right across their faces. Want to take it home escpecially now the weathers bad but oh wont have it. says he will move out if i do (as friend pointed out its a win win situation then!)
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 11:47 AM
My 2 dogs & 2 cats all get on fine together, they're respectful but realise they're different species.

Initially the cats spent a lot of time watching the dogs from a high vantage point ~ so now the cats know that when I first get home the dogs are excitable & it's best to keep away from frantically wagging tails (largish dogs, smallish cats, swishing tails ~ not a good mix!).

But same as Vodkalass, my cats rub back & forth across the dogs faces & the dogs sit rigidly still, going cross-eyed as if to say "there's a cat on the end of my nose"!!

The only problems I have are when the cats decide to practice their predatory skills, i.e. play, then the dogs either want to join in or want the cats to stop this very undignified behaviour . Whichever it is, the cats don't wait to find out, having learned that labs are not the most graceful or agile of dogs, & their clumsy clodhopping bouncing can easily squish a small cat
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >