Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MyBostonBoy
New Member!
Female 

26-05-2009, 03:15 AM

Boston Terrier Chases the Cat

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I thought I would get some help from you all with my Boston. I just adopted him from the shelter 2 days ago. He is anywhere from 10 months to 2 years old, the shelter wasn't sure. He is neutered. His name is Harlem. Harlem is very sweet and hasn't done anything wrong yet. I have a 5 month old baby boy and I completely trust him with my baby all ready. The only complaint I have with him so far is that he is chasing my cat. She is declawed so doesn't have any way to fend him off. He doesn't seem to be chasing her aggressively but just out of play. Either way, she doesn't like it. Since he arrived she has been walking along the walls and is always standing low to the ground. Harlem is so fast to get away from me when I try to tell him off for chasing her.

I used to watch Ceasar Millan but from looking around I understand many of you do not agree with his training approaches. So, that being said, what would be the best and most kind way to teach Harlem not to chase the kitty? Thanks for you help!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 04:01 AM
Well, I'm no Cesar Milan, but here is what I would do.

For now, until he can be trusted, don't let Harlem and your kitty together unsupervised. In his case, you should probably have Harlem on lead around the cat so you can prevent him from chasing kitty. When he shows interest in the cat, distract him with something more interesting than the cat. It may take some time to figure out what that is for Harlem, but for many its an extra tasty treat or special toy that they only get to play with when they are doing the "leave the cat alone" game. The most important thing is to not allow him to chase the cat, because its self rewarding for him. So when the cat is loose, he needs to be on lead under your control, or in his crate, or in a room away from the cat. The next key is to make ignoring the cat more rewarding for him than obsessing over the cat. Be it a fun game, or a yummy snack, leave the cat means good times for Harlem.
I'm sure others will be along with better advise.

Oh, and just one last thing. I hate to be a wet blanket, but with a dog you've only had a short time, I would be wary around your young child. I would not trust ANY dog unsupervised with a child, especially one so young. Any dog is capable of biting, no matter how sweet they may seem at first. Usually in the first few weeks a dog is living in a new home its a honeymoon period, and you don't get to see some of the behavior quirks until you've had him a little longer. Just a word of caution, nothing more.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by MyBostonBoy View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I thought I would get some help from you all with my Boston. I just adopted him from the shelter 2 days ago. He is anywhere from 10 months to 2 years old, the shelter wasn't sure. He is neutered. His name is Harlem. Harlem is very sweet and hasn't done anything wrong yet. I have a 5 month old baby boy and I completely trust him with my baby all ready. The only complaint I have with him so far is that he is chasing my cat. She is declawed so doesn't have any way to fend him off. He doesn't seem to be chasing her aggressively but just out of play. Either way, she doesn't like it. Since he arrived she has been walking along the walls and is always standing low to the ground. Harlem is so fast to get away from me when I try to tell him off for chasing her.

I used to watch Ceasar Millan but from looking around I understand many of you do not agree with his training approaches. So, that being said, what would be the best and most kind way to teach Harlem not to chase the kitty? Thanks for you help!
Sorry , not help with the cat chasing

But just wondered what you mean be declawing...do you mean you have had your cats claws removed??
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

But just wondered what you mean be declawing...do you mean you have had your cats claws removed??
In the states for some reason people have their cats claws removed. This isn't simply cutting off the claws but actually removing the claws completely taking off the bone at the end so they don't grow back. I watched it once on the telly many years ago and was horrified. I couldn't (and can't) understand why anyone would do that to an animal simply to stop them scratching the furniture!
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Declawing does sound extremely cruel, but it is possible that it was not the OP who had this done....her dog is a rescue, so there is a reasonable chance that her cat was too.

Mybostonboy - Muttzrule has given good advice re your cat and dog (and your baby). I'd just add that child gates can be a good way of letting your cat move between rooms without your dog chasing them (though on 2nd thoughts I guess a boston can probably get through the same gaps a cat can!).

I also made sure that my dog was not allowed on the furniture - that way the cat had somewhere 'safe' and off the ground to go.

Good luck with your new boy, I hope he and the cat soon learn to get along
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

26-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Declawing does sound extremely cruel, but it is possible that it was not the OP who had this done....her dog is a rescue, so there is a reasonable chance that her cat was too.

Mybostonboy - Muttzrule has given good advice re your cat and dog (and your baby). I'd just add that child gates can be a good way of letting your cat move between rooms without your dog chasing them (though on 2nd thoughts I guess a boston can probably get through the same gaps a cat can!).

I also made sure that my dog was not allowed on the furniture - that way the cat had somewhere 'safe' and off the ground to go.

Good luck with your new boy, I hope he and the cat soon learn to get along
Thats why I asked
MyBostonBoy
New Member!
Female 

26-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your help. Harlem has started to respond to us when we ask him to stop chasing the cat. The cat is also helping in that she isn't running from him anymore so she isn't as fun for him to chase. And about my little boy, I would never leave him alone with any animal. He is starting to roll around everywhere so I can hardly leave him alone for just a second anyways. He's getting so big!

About my cat... I do live in the States and it is a very common practice here to declaw our cats. I do not agree with people who do it and then let their cats outside. However, my cat does not go outside and she was tearing everything up. Not to mention we were expecting our baby. She has had no ill affects from the surgery. She still plays and jumps up on anything and everything just like she did when she had claws. If this kitty still had her claws my baby might have scratches on his face and my house would be shredded to pieces.

I guess basically it's like taboo or something. It's normal here but unheard of where most of you lovely people are located.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

26-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by MyBostonBoy View Post
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your help. Harlem has started to respond to us when we ask him to stop chasing the cat. The cat is also helping in that she isn't running from him anymore so she isn't as fun for him to chase. And about my little boy, I would never leave him alone with any animal. He is starting to roll around everywhere so I can hardly leave him alone for just a second anyways. He's getting so big!

About my cat... I do live in the States and it is a very common practice here to declaw our cats. I do not agree with people who do it and then let their cats outside. However, my cat does not go outside and she was tearing everything up. Not to mention we were expecting our baby. She has had no ill affects from the surgery. She still plays and jumps up on anything and everything just like she did when she had claws. If this kitty still had her claws my baby might have scratches on his face and my house would be shredded to pieces.
I guess basically it's like taboo or something. It's normal here but unheard of where most of you lovely people are located. ;-)

Not unheard of, just illegal... as it is considered barbaric

So you had the cat declawed to save your furniture and baby getting scratched!!

Funny who thousands of peopel around the world can own cats and not suffer such things
MyBostonBoy
New Member!
Female 

26-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Um yes I had the cat declawed to save the baby getting scratched. Personally my baby's safety is more important than the cat. Would you not agree? The cat is young and very playful and if she had her claws my child would have scratches all over his face. It was either declaw her or get rid of her. I think it is sad when a family must give up their pet just because they are having a baby. This enabled us to keep her in the only home she has known. The cat is fine! She is more spoiled than most cats I know.

Thanks for the welcome! I heard that this board was more friendly than any other. I'm starting to disagree. Look, I live in a different culture than you and I don't think it is very nice of you to judge me for something that I have been taught is perfectly fine. You have your opinion I have mine.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 07:30 PM
hiya

I think there will be a settling in period with any new rescue, so I think muttzrule advise is good in regards to the dog and the cat.

Re: the declawing, yes its considered cruel and unnecessary here, but will agree to disagree as know how popular it is in the States for it to be done. So I guess if its all you know then its easier to accept. Likewise its very unacceptable here so you will have to appreciate the disapproval from many here too..

Good luck with your dog and i think eventually he will learn not to chase the cat.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »