View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-05-2006, 09:57 AM

Bones (large marrow bones, soft bones, benefits & risks)

hmmm

right got a huge bone from the butchers

yes a bone :P

it like a foot and hal long, literally a cow leg or somethig.lol

do i just gve the whole thing too him.lol

and what bout the poor floor.lol
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:02 AM
err, that's not the type of bone that we raw feeders give as food, something this big is like a treat, a pacifier. I don't like to give marrow bones to my dogs too often, as they are very tough (apprantly only hyenas can break them as they have super strong jaws, but jaz make a good attempt...) and this type can break teeth. However if they have lots of meat around them, and the marrow in them make a great time passer for dogs to get this off...
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:04 AM
give it out in the garden (to save your floor!) or put a rug down and try to teach him to stay on that when he is eating...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Hmm ... Boxers can break them

Agree with jess, these are 'recreational' bones as they generally do not have much meat on them.

Give it whole to your dog, but make sure that there are no loose, gristly bits that can be wrenched off, swallowed and get stuck in the throat. Alternatively saw it into large pieces so that the marrow is more easily available. Oscar is an elderly dog so may appreciate a bit of help to access the good bits

Remove the bone after a suitable period of gnawing (put it in the fridge or freezer for another day). Too much chewing on these very hard bones can wear down or otherwise damage teeth.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:12 AM
''Hmm ... Boxers can break them ''

can they really ?! I thought Jaz had super strength... maybe these breeds were originally descended from hyenas not wolves !
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I don't like the bones with the sawn ends as this is where I think the dogs that are tenacious chewers can break their teeth, when they can get them either side of the narrow edge and clamp down really hard. I prefer the ones with both knuckles intact myself and I'm quite happy giving those and just take them away once all the meat is stripped and knuckles ground down. If I ever get smaller sawn bits where you can get to the marrow I just scoop it out and smear it in their kongs later and chuck those bits of bone. Just becareful how much marrow they get at once as for some dogs this can be a bit rich and give them an upset stomach.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Maybe Jess, maybe Hyenas crossed with Gannets

I confess I was amazed when I saw one of mine break a cow's leg bone. The broken bone had razor sharp edges and once the initial break is accomplished they have no trouble in breaking off bits - that's why they get bones only very rarely and only under tight supervision
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:26 AM
do you give softer bones SB, for feeding? Like lamb ribs/chicken wings etc? I always give any bone under supervision, no matter how 'soft'. As you said dogs can act like gannets, and I am sure at some point one will go down the wrong pipe! and I want to be there to do the whole heimlich manouvre (can that be done on dogs?! )
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-05-2006, 10:29 AM
i was ment as recreational.lol

not as food.lol

y i asked.lol

will try him later.lol
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 10:31 AM