Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Just chuffed with my 11 and a half year old

Don't do very many training sessions with my Tyto these days. So today as he seemed full of beans I decided to put him through his paces. DC, Sendaway with call up, varied heelwork and retrieve. Just goes to show they don't forget and this from a dog that doesn't do obedience but used to do breed showing. The training was still done just to give him something else to do when younger. He hasn't forgotten it. Bless him. bg!! So go and do some thing with your dog and let the brain take the strain.It's never to late.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Don't do very many training sessions with my Tyto these days. So today as he seemed full of beans I decided to put him through his paces. DC, Sendaway with call up, varied heelwork and retrieve. Just goes to show they don't forget and this from a dog that doesn't do obedience but used to do breed showing. The training was still done just to give him something else to do when younger. He hasn't forgotten it. Bless him. bg!! So go and do some thing with your dog and let the brain take the strain.It's never to late.
Excellent!
They need stimulation especially if they are active.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Yep his brother is the same. Still doing agility and winning.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Two of mine are the same age, Brenda and we still do a bit every day when we're out
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
DC, Sendaway with call up, varied heelwork and retrieve. Just goes to show they don't forget
Well done Brenda & Tyto, I agree once they have learned something they retain that knowledge well into old age especially if they were taught when young. You must be pleased

Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Excellent!
They need stimulation especially if they are active.
Also agree, much better if they have a job to do and they usually like to do it.

I think our Casey would be good if he had been given some challenges when younger, we think he must be nearly ten now and maybe a bit old for learning.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Never to old to learn. My older shepherd learnt and did the occasional exemption show in obedience and breed. He was also a rescue. Bless him. Loved him to bits but sadly only had him a year then lost him to cancer. He was a great ambassador for his breed.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Also agree, much better if they have a job to do and they usually like to do it.

I think our Casey would be good if he had been given some challenges when younger, we think he must be nearly ten now and maybe a bit old for learning.
When I have my late afternoon stroll, my dear wife hides some tiny pieces of chicken for Max to find when we get back.
He has to work for his treats and seems to enjoy that.