Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-05-2014, 09:49 AM

Dangerous Dogs Act 2014 Changes

Some important changes to the DDA coming in this year - another ill-thought out update that is going to cause major problems for law abiding citizens more than anything.

NAWT Video:

NAWT PDF Guide:
https://www.nawt.org.uk/sites/defaul...%20AdviceF.pdf

NAWT web page:
https://www.nawt.org.uk/advice/chang...-advice-owners

This is what I posted on Breedia:

I am not happy about the updates at all - almost all dogs who have territorial instincts will bark at strange noises or knocks at the door. They should have just made it for access up to the front door, and/or covered delivery men who have been asked to deliver goods or other people working who have been invited in. Friends/family/other guests don't need to visit - they can choose not to if they don't like dogs.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2014, 09:52 AM
It is not just dogs with territorial instincts who bark at strange noises or knocks at the door, as many people rely on their dog to let them know if someone is at the door because they are deaf/hard of hearing.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2014, 10:05 AM
On the whole I have no issue with the changes, I already have barriers etc to stop my dogs accessing the front door and no one can access my side /back garden unless I let them in through a 7' tall locked gate.

There is a slight grey area in these changes in that if the person attacked is a burglar
or trespasser your dog may not be considered dangerously out of control if it is in a
building that is your private dwelling at the time of the attack. However, this does not
cover incidents in your back or front garden so while the law is yet to be tested, all
dog owners should ensure that all areas of their gardens where their dogs could
encounter unexpected visitors are secure.

However, I don't like grey areas and surely the point of new legislation should be to remove any grey areas so this bit is a tad odd, are they thick ? if your dog is in a secured garden with locked gates and a burglar is bitten while trespassing what the f*** is grey about that. He's a thieving s*** and gets what he deserves if the dog takes a chunk out of his a***.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Oh well put!!!
I've had my yard like Fort Knox for several years now due to a nasty neighbour and his feral children, they've grown up and moved now (the neighbour I mean lol), so the times have now caught up with me, but what a shame it has to be this way.
Was only thinking that when I first moved round here in the early '80's I used to work locally, come home at lunchtime, WALK my horse down from her stable at the farm, and tether her in the churchyard to graze for the afternoon, went back to work (church was at the side of the house I then lived in) and then take her back to the farm at tea time.
Would I be able to do this now, I very much doubt it!!!
Times have definitely changed for the worse, very sadly
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Mine is like fort knox for a few reasons tbh. I used to have an escapologist of a parson russell so that meant concrete gravel boards with a 6 foot solid fence on top. That upset my elderly neighbour so one panel had a bit of trellis put in at about 3 foot to 6 foot so she could still call me if she needed me. She went into care after a fall and later died and the house was sold to developers who put some awful tenants in until they got their planning permission through. The parents used to have screaming rows and the kids were left to their own devices. The trellis panel for talking to my neighbour was quickly replaced with a solid panel and after I found two kids on my shed roof with the dogs up on their hind legs giving it large. I added 2 foot of trellis to the top of the fence, I made my own ensuring they couldn't get their little feet in the gaps to climb over. They've gone thank gawd and the house has been sold to another oap who doesn't seem to want any contact at all, which is fine by me. My 7 foot gate was also made by me and is very solid and the dogs can't even access that unless they're with me because both ends of my side access is gated, the back end has a 4 foot gate which serves it's purpose well. While I accept they're my dogs and therefore my responsibility it's flaming annoying to keep forking out to keep your garden as secure as Belmarsh when it's other people that are the problem. Whatever happened to people having a little respect for others property.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Yeah I feel exactly the same, I've got old type 'school fencing' (metal bar type) inside my fencing, so even if someone got through the wood they'd be faced with steel bars and the school gate that goes across my 6'6" sold wood gate.
I'm having concrete slabs put up this summer (once I've got the money together) to replace the wood slats. I am forking out to keep the blighters out, although I make it seem as though it is to keep the girls in of course, perish the thought I should be deemed anti-social!!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I am forking out to keep the blighters out, although I make it seem as though it is to keep the girls in of course, perish the thought I should be deemed anti-social!!!
Hi June, wow that did make me laugh, as it happens I am right now looking at putting a gate on the Suffolk house, I have said it's to keep Rianna in (When she eventually gets there) but in reality it's to keep 'them' out

Problem is I've just been quoted £2800 + VAT for some factory made gates can't see how I can justify that sort of money so might have to make them myself and ship to England in knock down form and assemble when I am there

I don't get much time on here now but I still read your threads and the other Dogsey regulars and promise to come back full time as soon as possible In the meantime I'll send 'Rep' points just so you know I'm not dead
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Oh Harvey thats an an enormous amount of money isn't it.
I do know that building materials have all of a sudden shot up, because it has cost fortunes just to get my new mini palace built. If you can diy stuff, I envy you, at least you have an option. Can you not make them at your new place or is it cheaper to buy the materials in Czechland.
Looking forward to you coming back to Blighty and speaking to you
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
another ill-thought out update that is going to cause major problems for law abiding citizens more than anything.
Azz, have you noticed that as the legal people find it increasingly difficult to deal with the real criminals in society that they turn their attention to 'easy tagets' such as the millions of good, hardworking, people and they find a 'loophole' that they can exploit, e.g. being a dog owner.

I gather that this new law means that anyone who can claim to have been frightened by your dog can now take you to court and claim compensation, and of course all the vultures in the legal proffession will be advertising on TV to tell you that you can 'suddenly' become 'frightened' of dogs, just ring us and we'll pursue the owner through the courts and extract money from him which we'll give to you, don't worry you can lie and say anything you like just so long as it makes it look like you are frightened of dogs.

So just like all the people who 'forgot' that they had PPI, or who fell down in a council car park while 'drunk', or got hurt while commiting a 'robbery', we now have another class of people who will line up to receive a handout.

Another nice little earner for them, makes me so mad
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Can you not make them at your new place or is it cheaper to buy the materials in Czechland.
Looking forward to you coming back to Blighty and speaking to you
Well, as it happens I've have a lot of 2x2 and 2x3 lengths of good Oak in my workshop here which I've not had a use for, I think this will be a good use, I only want a simple 5 bar type gate, those quoted were more elaborate and seemed to me to be aimed at the 'up market' type house owners, that's not us I can assure you.

Will be nice to 'chat' on here when we are finally installed in new place.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >