Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Didn't know that, makes sense though now you've said! Axel does like to lie stretched out a lot, must be most natural and comfortable I guess. Though he does spend a lot of time curled up in his bed.

This is his 'den'

And his 'modified' bed
Bless him.

Yes for dogs to properly reach REM sleep they need to be completely relaxed; if their muscles are tensed or being used to curl themselves up, they have less chance of reaching REM sleep. So the best position that allows complete relaxation is lying flat on their sides. Having said that I've seen my dogs in REM sleep lying upside down on the sofa too! But dogs seem to know what they need in the way of comfortable sleep positions & can find the most comfortable places & positions, & if that means taking the duvet out of the round bed, & placing it flat on the floor, then so be it!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Mine sleep anywhere!

They do have nice beds which cost me a fortune - more for show than anything because they sleep on our bed, on the floor, on the sofa - anywhere they can get.

And I'm guessing when I get a greyhound it'll be another one who doesn't follow the "rules" and doesn't sleep in it's own bed, downstairs and doesn't go on the furniture - can you tell my OH is the big softy
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Dogs need to be able to stretch out fully on their sides (lateral recumbency) to properly reach REM sleep. That's why you often see dogs hanging out over the edge of round baskets, or dragging their bedding out of the bed onto the floor. This knowledge made a lot of difference to DT rescue dogs in kennels (they used to have round plastic beds but were continually dragging duvets, blankets out onto the floor) so now they have more choice & variety & often have the big cushion-type beds.

Many thanks WILBAR
This thread was in fact inspired by your helpful advice in response to my post on possible hip dysplasia. I am getting Dexter a new bed this weekend
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Lovely pictures guys - and thanks so much for your answers
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-01-2011, 11:11 AM
My son has a kingsize bed and our Leo shares it with him!

Mick
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Lovely thread btw, love everyones pics xxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Zena's bed looks sooooo comfy, Cain would love that! Did you say that's a Wainwrights one?

Ps I never knew Georgie was white. Awwwww
Yes, it's the Wainwrights one, very deep sides, she loves it and I've put a special memory foam flat bed inside it (it's for active dogs!!! that's probably why you never see old Georgie in it!!! ), and the one under the stairs is now the old Wainwright's bed coz Zena is spoiled and got a new one! I can't believe how awful Georgie looks in that piccy, it's an old pic when Zena was a pup, thank goodness he looks a heck of a lot better now!
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Her own sofa,yes she is spoilt.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Jago has a 48" crate with blankets and a folded up duvet, Sika has a plastic bed with a bean bag and blankets but also likes to sleep on the rug in front of the stove. They also are not allowed on the furniture... Jago listens but...

Sika doesn't. I took her crate away a couple of days ago as I can now trust her out of it when I'm not home. When I'm out, this ^ is where she chooses to sleep. Brat.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 01:30 PM
she looks very comfy
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >